Multiple Users/Account

Hi,

I am new to home automation and I have decided to focus on Home Assistant. However, I have few things that I am not too sure such as, is it possible to have multiple users or account? For example, I want to put a tablet at my living room so that my family members can control the switches, arm/disarm the alarm, see the weather, etc… but cannot access certain switches such as those in my room. I also want to let my other family members to control the switches of their own room using their phone.

Please advice.

1 Like

At the moment there is no user management implemented in Home Assistant.

You can group entities but not restrict access to them.

oh… do you think it will be implemented in the future?

I think so because user management with a permissions model would make it possible to use Home Assistant in other places than just your home. In an office environments you don’t want to give everybody access to all entities which can be controlled. Similar to your setup…don’t allow the kids to do monkey tricks :wink:

Story for this feature: 116678871

Well, no promises…because we depend on contributions.

3 Likes

Count me in as a +1 on requesting this feature.

1 Like

There’s already a thread in Feature Request:

Hi, i am really amazed with home assistant, just really thanks for your job. This feature i think that it is really import because affect the user. I was doing something like homeassistant for the university and we always focus on the user permissions and this staff… if there are something that i can do i would like to contribute. Just thanks and sorry for the english… :stuck_out_tongue:

We need a concept/design about the how this could be done first and take into account that the migration of the http component is coming too (117409153).

Perhaps a ‘lite’ way to do this would be to simply allow multiple group configurations so you could pick and choose different entities for a different web path - this would have the added benefit of allowing for instance mounted tablets in different parts of the house to have a different view of switches and scenes etc. - I have 3 tablets and counting and would love to have different info on each one.

This is really only “security by obscurity” so does not address any strong security requirement but it may be a quicker way to get part of the way there.

1 Like

Hello everyone, any suggestions on the technology to use to manage:

users , permissions and roles

Basically a technology that is future proof in the world of Home assistant.

Thank you

1 Like

There is an alternate solution to what you need. Use HADashboard for controls and create different dash files for different users / areas