Multiple Zigbee Networks - Help

I could do with some help from those who have travelled this route…

I have a location where zigbee devices are required in three areas spread over a fairly large area. Currently I have a Sonoff CC2652 USB stick acting as coordinator plugged into a pi4 running HA and ZIgbee2MQTT. There are then two Sonoff CC2652 acting as corrdinators which are at the very limit of the zigbee network range and are not really reliable as a result.

My proposal is to run three separate zigbee networks - one via the Sonoff CC2652 USB stick plugged into the HA rpi4, then install Zigbee2MQTT on two separate pi zero’s with the Sonoff CC2652 USB’s plugged into them as separate Coordinators running . The two pi Zero’s would then communicate via MQTT to the HA instance on the pi 4.

My questions are:

1. Can you install zigbee2MQTT on the piZero? Which pi OS should I use?
  2. Are there drivers for the Sonoff CC2652 USB stick on the piZero?
  3. I understand I need to set different MQTT base topics for each instance, but do I need to set different Zigbee channels too?
  4. Is it possible to re-pair Aqare devices (e.g. temperature sensor) to a new zigbee coordinator?
  5. Is there a better way?

1. You can, but the Pi Zero isn’t a great platform, others have had issues when running Z2M on them due the lack of CPU and RAM
  2. You don’t need drivers
  3. If the two meshes will be close to each other yes, different channels and different PAN IDs
  4. Yes
  5. More routers will probably be a better solution

Unfortunately the more routers option is not practical for me as the space between the different areas is outside, covered in large trees and over 40 metre spans.

Is the rpi (3 or 4) the best option then for the solution I suggest? (if I can source them)

Many thanks for your help.

A Pi3 would be fine, as would any mini-PC.

1 Like

Have you managed to carry out your plan, did it work for you? @The_Flash