Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

Based on the blurb alone, it seems like the two things I’d most want are absent. Firstly would be Amazon music integration (I believe it does have an API) and the second would be the ability to play any music to Alexa speakers.

3 Likes

Thank you for your hard work, I’m a big fan of this integration!

A question: I made a script for a button to cast a specific Spotify playlist and it executes it perfectly. But I wonder if it’s posible to cast it as shuffled so the songs in the playlist is played shuffled?

- service: media_player.play_media
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.overallt_2
    data:
      media_content_id: library://playlist/4
      media_content_type: music
    metadata:
      title: Favoriter
      thumbnail: >-
        https://image-cdn-ak.spotifycdn.com/image/ab67706c0000da84ce6b9e44de793555e130dc31
      media_class: playlist
      children_media_class: null
      navigateIds:
        - {}
        - media_content_type: mass
          media_content_id: playlists

I updated from the Beta this morning and now my music providers and other settings are all gone… I’m guessing this was listed in the docs somewhere but I was hasty and just hit update without thinking about it.

Can the Cast protocol now send songs’ metadata from Spotify to displays like the Nest Hub?

Correct, support for amazon is still lacking but may/can be added some day.

2 Likes

you need to issue a media_player.shuffle service call before your automation

Pro tip: you can also use just the name of the playlist in the content_id
Bonus tip: if you use mass.play_media you can do even more cool things like giving it a list of multiple playlists, enabling radio mode (even on multiple playlists!)

3 Likes

Yes, it will send the metadata

1 Like

In addition to what Marcel said you can also use picoreplayer running on a RPi to be the bridge to the BT speaker

2 Likes

You can do that in the player settings

I assume you mean you have installed the stable addon? If so then there is no data shared between the containers so playlists won’t come across (exporting playlists is on the backlog). Providers are not enabled by default anymore so just go to the settings and add those

Great news. Congratulations on the release!

Absolutely LOVE this software. It’s becoming (for me at least) what Home Assistant did for Home Automation, Music Assistant for home streaming. Able to stream music to multiple methods: Airplay 2, Chromecast, Sonos, Squeezebox, Snapcast.

Hoping more come in the future: Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect. Hoping MA dips their toe in to the audiophile world (how about an open source version of ROON?) That’s my hope and dream at least.

Finally, as more music sources are joined on this amazing platform, I truly hope more development goes into discovery - finding new music.

Amazing stuff and thank you for sharing this to the community!

2 Likes

Kind of… I had the Beta and simply hit update, which now I see has installed the Stable alongside the Beta. However opening the Beta in the HA sidebar shows no music providers etc anymore. It seems that hitting update has updated the Beta to Stable (and cleared all previous settings) as well as installing the Stable as a separate container.

It’s awesome… Thank you for the good work. Can I dream of having Apple music integrated one day? :grimacing:

2 Likes

Wow. I mean I want to like this, but out of the gate it was disappointment after disappointment.

• Claimed it couldn’t start the HA add on, but I checked, and the HA add on was in fact installed and running. Manually configured.
  • No support for Apple Music, my main streaming service. :-1::-1: But I use Soundiiz to kind of unreliably/poorly sync with Spotify, so let’s try that.
  • Spotify setup made me create an app password because I log into Spotify with another service. Created it, tried to log in, got a message that for some reason a paid Spotify account is required. Soundiiz doesn’t require a paid Spotify account OR an app password. :man_facepalming: Ok let’s try Tidal.
  • Tidal setup just resulted in an endlessly spinning ring as soon as I clicked the button to begin.
  • I’m afraid to even try connecting to my Plex media server at this point. Even Soundiiz has trouble reaching my reverse-proxied Plex server, and so far their janky-ass service works way smoother than anything I’ve seen from Music Assistant. Which is to say “it works”. Like, AT ALL.

There is absolutely no way I’m getting even a sliver of Home Approval Factor on this in its current state. Guess I should wait for version 3.0? Maybe by then it might even support Apple Music?

I mean, I appreciate the effort put in, but yeah this is ABSOLUTELY still “beta” if not “alpha”. :slightly_frowning_face:

Crazy easy to set up, just installed and configured in under five minutes, excellent process. Looking forward to fully testing it this weekend!

1 Like

Given that to be able to access Apple Music via API for streaming, the devs would have to buy and maintain an Apple Developer account. That’s a cost that would have to be recouped somehow and this is free software.

I get the other points, but none of them have anything to really do with Music Assistant aside from the addon issue.

4 Likes

I’ve been using the Beta for a long time (years?) and now have the Stable installed. No issues here other than having to setup my music providers again but that went smoothly just like it did on the Beta.

No they are separate containers but you can’t run them simultaneously. Stop the stable version and then restart the beta. At this point in time they are identical

We will look at your first point.
On your second you could just look at the docs and see what is supported so can’t see this as contributing to the alpha comment
Spotify works fine. If you get that message you have an incorrect password
Tidal you again need to look at what you are doing as that also works fine for everyone else. Could be a browser issue blocking popups?
Yes don’t use Plex as that provider currently has open issues.

I would re-read your post and maybe see how appallingly it comes across.

10 Likes