Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

There are some GitHub sponsors and so an Apple Developer Account has been procured. Apple Music support is being worked on as we speak.

11 Likes

I just setup the Stable (added music providers) and got rid of the Beta since there is no need for it anymore. Easy.

1 Like

Is support for Yamaha MuisicCast players being considered?

4 Likes

It is in the player provider poll Player Provider Poll #1 Ā· music-assistant Ā· Discussion #1200 Ā· GitHub but not sitting high. HEOS would be the next to be worked on by the looks of it but no capacity at the moment. You can expose the HA entities to MA which should work ok

I am using Home Assistant Core.

Can I run the Docker container on my media server, and install some integration on HA to connect to Music Assistant Docker container?

The installation instructions do not seem to mention this.

Update: is this the way? Home Assistant Integration - Music Assistant

Yeah Iā€™ve done that but it does not support linking by the looks of it.

No only native players allow that. Although as mentioned above you can try Universal Group but YMMV

Yes you can run MA in a separate docker container. The docs explain how to do that. Once that is done you can install the integration and point it to the MA server (running separately).

1 Like

Is there a way to add Bluetooth as a music source? Or Airplay/Cast?

I use Spotify for my music but sometimes a guest wants to take control of the speakers and stream something from their phone. Most of the time I end up handing them my phone. But it would be great if they could just connect to some Bluetooth device and stream away

1 Like

Not at the moment. Spotify Connect and making MA an Airplay target is on the roadmap

4 Likes

I just installed it as docker container and canā€™t play a single local file. Player is detected (I can change volume) as well as local folder.

• Can it play files without any metadata? I wish I could just simply add folders into playlist.

• Can it play files without Metadata Providers? I see I canā€™t removed Metadata Providers.

• I think Settings UI lacks back button, pressing Close is confusing and does nothing. And I canā€™t use back button in the browser.

• and now Iā€™m getting volume_normalization errors in UI when trying to play a song.

I donā€™t think it would be useful for me without local files support that can be played without added them to the library.

I accidentally created a universal group with no members. I can go back and configure it but the SAVE button remains disabled.

It seems that no changes made to a universal group can be saved. Not just members.

I ended up deleting it and recreating the group correctly.

Butā€¦ universal groups of HA players do not work. I can select the group but it still says ā€œno player selectedā€ on the main page and will not let me play any tracks. Even though there is a ā€œ2ā€ on the players.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 14-33-19 Home Assistant

This may not be for you then. You can use the BROWSE view to look through your files but that is not the idea. The idea is to have a fully featured music library manager and for that to work well it needs properly tagged music. From that point, for those that want it, it links to the streaming providers to show other albums and tracks that are available and finds the best quality version of a track for playback.

You might find the standard HA media browser will meet your needs

Could be a bug. Leave the UGP setup and restart the addon and see if that makes a difference

1 Like

Yep. That did the trick. Thanks.

53bb3f41d1fb17aa28b506c6b03980bd

:rofl:

6 Likes

Fantastic start - please tell me where to direct donations towards THIS PROJECTā€¦ Itā€™s exactly what weā€™ve needed.

Few bits of initial feedback
MPD players
** no volume control
** audio output stops after 1m50s. player thinks itā€™s still going. ā€œSeekingā€ starts audio output again.

Airplay Players
** sees players - zero audio output

SONOS Players
** works perfectly, no issues

Multiple players
** each output is a different playlist - you canā€™t ā€œadd outputsā€ to an already playing audio source

Literally via the link in the first line of the first postā€¦plus one extra click.

1 Like

Dave has answered your first question!

For your second and third points see here first Troubleshooting - Music Assistant and then ask on GH or Discord for specific assistance.

On your last point you should be able to but they have to be the same provider type (eg. Airplay, DLNA)

1 Like

A few comments so far.

I love my LMS system. However this may be able to replace it.

You have a great looking set of developers.

Very polished ui, at least on your screenshots. I canā€™t make it look that good, yet.

As I said, my weekend is screwed.

2 Likes

There will be some elements of LMS that arenā€™t brought across. However, Marcel wants this to be a better product built using modern technologies and not just a LMS replacement. Note this from the docs when you start to play with it

you cannot run a separate LMS server on your network if the MA slimproto provider is enabled