Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

I woke up this morning and there was an update again. Thanks for this, was missing those for a while. Love my daily routine to update ma and see what was approved over day.

Keep up the good work. Loving this addon, using it on a daily basis. Would love to see integration with SpotifyPlus to play to (old) Spotify connect devices, but waiting patiently.

1 Like

It would seem sensible to use the speaker as a media_player. But no … or at least not on the RasPi voice satellites … yet :frowning:

No there is currently no combined voice assistant media player solution

I use Squeezelite players (all works great playback etc), but mute/unmute doesn’t seem to work with MA. No option in frontend and also no service calls in HA for MA entities that are added. Is this an oversight, a bug or simply not implemented?

Also: is there a way to keep players synced to the main player, when the child turns off? So when I turn it back on, it automatically plays in the group it was. Turning a player off, removes it from the group now, which is annoying syncing everytime. I know there is a group option, but I basically just have all speakers inside one group and turn on/off speakers on the fly. Using the group function, turns on all speakers in that group everytime, which means I have to manually turn them off after.

Also turning off the main player, turns off all clients. Is there a way that it continues on the children?

Basically the way LMS works with syncing.

I really appreciate the work in MA and followed it since the beginning. Looks very polished, but the above three points keep me from using it and make me switch back to LMS.

media_player.volume_mute

Grouping works as described here User Interface - Music Assistant

I know the service call for mute. But that doesn’t work with MA players. I get an error when using YAML. When using UI the MA players are missing from developer tools where you can test service calls.

I understand how grouping works. My issue is the way it works, which is why I ask this question. Since it doesn’t work as fluent as I’d like. Seems like this is just the way it’s implemented, so I’ll switch back to LMS for my use.

Hope my comments didn’t come over as negative. Sometimes I can be a bit rubbish as to how I phrase things. Can see great work going on in MA. Be nice if it can pickup local artwork without relying on a folder name.

The service call does work. I use it all the time. Are you using the latest version of the Integration?

Sure MA won’t be suitable for everyone. You are welcome to submit a feature request though on GitHub.

There was a comment above about a new version this morning. Where do these show up? I didnt see anything in updates? Do i need to be part of a beta program

Yes in the beta

Yes, I installed integration from HACS and tested both stable add-on and beta add-on. Music plays great, but mute/unmute doesn’t work. When I go to developer page to use a service call, the MA entities are not there, because the mute/unmute feature somehow isn’t supported on them. If I use YAML and manually enter the entity, I get the error that the entity doesn’t support that feature.

Lastly, the mute button also isn’t present in the more-info dialog of the entity. See screenshot below. There should be a mute button on the left of the two volume buttons

Are you using stable or beta? Sorry I just re-read your post. I am not see this in my beta install but I do see it in my dev install. Let me ask around

1 Like

So, I got MA installed, it’s connected to my local music share and seems to work fine with my Sonos equipment via the web UI. It’s in a docker container and is connected to my HA instance, where a new Media item appears in the left sidebar. And that shows a player control bar and 4 tiles - Favorites (Sonos), Camera, My Media and TTS. My Media just shows icons for devices I don’t have (floppy, cdrom, usb), but doesn’t include the media library I connected to MA. I was expecting a way to be able to view the library and use the search function. Am I misunderstanding this?

You have to select a MA player. Not that the HA media browser does not have all the functionality of the MA UI

Oh, ok. I was wondering why I had duplicates of all my players in the list on the player bar. I’ve never used the media functionality in HA, so this is all new to me.

Me too, and also on my Android and iOS mobile phones/tablets as well (e.i. future Music Assistant Companion apps for Android phone and iPhone/iPad or directly in Home Assistant).

FYI, I believe that local player support is a feature request for the Music Assistant Companion desktop app, but I read that it is in need of new/addional developers now:

The companion app has the squeezelite application buoy in which you can use for local playback or you could use the built in Snapcast server in MA to play to a browser tab

Personally, I’m using this Snapcast client on Windows and Android and it works well with Music Assistant: GitHub - stijnvdb88/Snap.Net: A cross-platform control client and player for https://github.com/badaix/snapcast

1 Like

Sorry for bothering you with this request again, but I too would like to know how to get this working with Google Home.

I am sick of using TuneIn radios and all of its issues with my Google devices! :confounded:

I understand that most other users already have Sonos, Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Unifi or other high-end brand-name music systems; or media servers like Plex, Kodi, iTunes or spotify … which is why they comprise most of the HA “media player” integrations. I have previously used Kodi, and do have Kodi as an app on my ShieldTV but don’t want to leave my TV turned on 24/7. I do use VLC on my PC occasionally … but only recognise a few of the other names.

For someone with a small 2-bedroom flat and a large collection of local tracks who mostly wants to play them as lo-fi background music on Ras-Pi Voice Assist devices, which music-player would you recommend to work with Music Assistant ?