Music Assistant 2.0: Your Music, Your Players

I just updated my MA docker container. I am on 2.0.7
For some reason I can’t play anything on google nest, I only can change speakers volume.
Some tracks are playing through my desktop speakers instead.

in the logs I see these errors:

ERROR (MainThread) [music_assistant.providers.theaudiodb] Failed to retrieve searchtrack.php?

Maybe I should clean db and start fresh.

Anyway, I am mostly interesting in Browse local folders and adding any folders to the my playlists with separation per folders/albums (assuming folder=album).

• I don’t see an option to add folder to the playlist
  • I don’t see an option to add a song to the playlist

Browse is very limited and is not designed for the purpose you are trying to use it for. If you want to add a track or album to a playlist you do that from the track or albums view.

This is was my wish. This is my workflow in other music players that I use.

I see Marcel has made some additional changes to the matching logic. You could try again with beta 14. I suggest trying just by updating and if that doesn’t work try with a fresh install

You dont have to turn off the 3 metadata providers, they are only used as complimental if there is nothing locally. We always prefer local first.

Unfortunately the 2.0.7 stable release currently is really lacking behind compared to what is in the 2.1 beta, in which we kind of fixed all/most of the issues found in this thread and github reports. I think we will promote the 2.1 beta to stable within the next week or so as its getting in good shape.

3 Likes

I fixed a whole bunch of issues in the logic that should fix the weird issues you have seen. This should be available in 2.10 beta 14 but might require a fresh install (just test first without). If you still see some weirdness I’d be very interested in some testfiles so I can reproduce it.

1 Like

(2.1.0b14) I tried “Refresh Item” - no change. Tried Refresh All Items - still no change.

Have gone to the “bad” albums and “Remove from Library” and then did an album rescan. No change, though interestingly the Outrospective combined set has swapped which album they are named after.

How can I check the latest edition is actually running? I can’t find anywhere in the MA GUI a version number. Or do I need to restart HA after an update? I had done a fresh install for the previous beta that had been suggested yesterday.

(Will try a full database delete and refresh then update this post.)

I only mentioned this to point out to the person asking that it was possible to configure.

I am certainly noticing the beta much happier to pick up my data. Nice work. Will prep some test data so you can see what I am seeing when albums share a common name. PM sent with some examples.

I agree, 2.10 beta 13 and 14 have really improved things on the metadata front. Thanks for all the hard work.

By the way, could people refer to the complete version when posting? As i have said many times on this forum “Latest is not a version” :slight_smile: . Preserve the knowledge of WTF you were talking about yesterday, last week, and last month.

1 Like

@IvanDobsky you are going to have to register a GitHub account if you want to report bugs. There is no way around that.

2 Likes

Is there a way to switch to beta channel for docker container?

I wish there was an option to disable all metadata providers to make sure that nothing is fetching from internet.

It took me a while to get a version I am using. I think the settings navigation need to be improved.

Can you tell me why ? All we fetch is some additional info like biography etc. We will never overwrite any of the info that is local and the local info is always preferred over any online info. 99,9% of the folks do like this additional info so you understand that its not really my interest to change this. We use the info to make the UI more feature rich and at some point provide you with some more insight etc.

If its fetching info from online while you have it locally THAT would be something we need to fix as that classifies as a bug.

If you just want to browse folders and play it without seeing any metadata around it, I think MA might not be the correct fit for you and you better use a tool like VLC etc.

Yes, the settings screens need some love. Luckily you don’t need them everyday

Yes, just install the beta tag. I assume you install specific docker images by tag.
so in that case you use the 2.1.0b14 tag (or just beta instead of latest but I always recommend to use explicit versions)

1 Like

99,9% is a bit high number, but maybe I am in 0,01%. I personally don’t care much about additional info like biography or artist pictures, I can google them. I like to see albums covers and I have them for most of albums in my library.
Well, maybe artist pictures would be nice to have, but there could be a setting for it. I care about playlists management and their playback (playlists creation, adding songs, etc).

I would rather avoid browsing a library, with potentially wrong fetched metadata information or missing information (and missing songs). Probably I could try to fix it by manually editing metadata but it’s a very time consuming and I am sure it’s impossible to do for all my music library anyway.

Well, but if there was a setting to disable it we would never had such a problem too.

I like to see local metadata like artist - song, album art, etc. I like play playlists and creating playlist by adding folders to it as it’s a lot easier because I already know the whole structure of folders, let’s say I have a folder “rock” I can just add this folder into playlist.

IMO VLC is more a video player, not a music player.

There is. Just turn them off one by one.

I haven’t tried the latest beta yet :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry, just looked again. The switch is there, but doesn’t seem to be functional yet.

Heck yeah!

It’s the one thing holding me back as I own one in every room. I look forward to this the most.

Just updated my container to the latest beta (2.1.0b15). For testing I am using just one folder with 1 artists that include ~ 21 albums. At first glance it scanned all track correctly and I can play them on google speakers.

I created several playlists but can’t add album or a single track from the library to them. In the logs I see that tracks were added but in the Playlist UI no items found.

My biggest request would be a possibility to add any folder (or folder containing several folders) from Browse (Filesystem) to the playlist.

I would also like to see a progress bar and persistent notification when MA syncing files, and also information of how many files were being added and what files were not, like a report in the Server Information. I want to be sure that every song was added into database. Because at the moment I don’t know for sure.