My approach to smart heating (radiators, floor heating, gas boiler)

You should refer to PiGPIOd for help.

Yep! Did it, no luck still… but diggin

maybe it is something about 64 bit system… dont know…

Went over to raspbian with docker and got it up. Digging in. You have done a huge amount of work! Thumbs up!!!

1 Like

Glad to hear! Let me know, how it went for you.

I will , i struggle with your python script for ble .I also need to replace the bsb info with something else, as i am going to use LG air to water system, and still have no clue, if it works with it, as far i know Lg has possibility to use rs485.

Could you help me with the pins you use for ds18b20 sensors, it is hard to see from the photo. and resistor is 10k ohm i presume. Best regards.

Just google raspberry pi ds18b20 and you’ll find plenty of ways to connect DS18B20 to RPI.

Yep, got it working, fidling with node red, some trouble finding sensor, on terminal it works. Thanks for reply

1 Like

You are godlike.

I’m new to HA / IoT world, I’m an expirienced programmer, I’m building a new house, and I’m also new to heating systems.

I came here googling how relays open and closes floor heated circuits, as I realized -more or less- the rest of your setup. In your post I found it: actuators.

I think this approach or something similar will save me thousands of dollars with propietary gadgets (and space).

One question, do you know how OpenTherm / modulated thermostats fits here? Maybe with your implemented logic, it is useless here?

Thank you!!

Hi,

Unfortunately my boiler does not support OpenTherm. But my approach has two loosely coupled automations - one for gas boiler (room temperature monitoring, flow temperature control), other is actuator control - actuator automation does not care what type of heater prepares hot water for heating. Actuators are opened or closed based on room and flow temperatures. I don’t know about modulated thermostats. In my life I’ve seen maybe 5 proprietary floor heating automations, and neither of them had ability to PWM control actuators. All of them were controlled by either fully opening or fully closing.

If you’ll have more questions ar thoughts let me know, I’ll gladly answer.

Hi Algirdas! I am on my way on things, but i am struggling with ds18b20. They drop. Even if i use 5v for power. Any comments how did you wire them?
Best regards

What do you mean by saying “they drop”? Do you mean, that they loose connection or they don’t work at all?

They loose connection after sometime, then some sensors come back then all
come back and this happens in random,
the cables are like this: black - gnd, yellow - data, red 5v , reistor orange pullup 3.3v

Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 12.18.29

@Georgi_Dimitrov little bit off topic, but how did you make this drawing?

I use MS Visio for such diagrams. Inserted the actual photo of the thermostat and the other objects are from built in Visio libraries.

Hi, this is a very interesting setup. I was wondering, with such a complex system (to a normal person), would you plan to convert it to a more ‘dumb’ system if selling the house? And how would you do that? Maybe just remove the manifolds and install TRVs on each radiator?

Hey. Original TRVs are still installed, just opened all the way to the max. If I plan to sell house, I would remove valves and system would be working as originaly intended. But if buyer insisted to leave smart heating - I would leave it as it is right now, which, by the way, working stable and flawlessly to this day.

1 Like

What an amazing system, well done. I want to build a similar system. Our radiators are also installed on a ‘manifold’, but nothing standard, I think the plumber just made the design up. Each radiator spur is controlled by a simple Lever Ball Valve, one of these:

Obviously the valve actuator you’ve found won’t fit on the ones you’ve found on aliexpress. I have found this controller, but it is much less neat, and only supports ‘fully on/off’.

Do you know what type of valve I need to buy to fit on the actuator you’ve used?

Keep in mind, that valve actuators also work as on / off, I havent implemented partial on or off as it would need calibration and more work, but this approach works for me. As per your intallation I would need to see whole picture of your manifold, but in my case, my manifold is used only for radiators, so I had to split pipe in two parts and put a valve in between. And onto this valve I had to screw in actuator. Maybe if you change your ball valve to floor heating valve, you could achieve same results. I believe it is called thermostatic return temperature limiter or Return Flow Temperature Limiter.

2023-01-07_14-38