My Docker Setup

you can try this one for the pi3, the dockerfile is also included so you can build one

thanks. Should this work on x86 too? perhaps changing to a debian repository?

How do you access the front end with portainer? I have it running, but can’t seem to get port 8123 working. I tried publish all exposed ports as well as mapping additional ports. Neither seemed to work.

Portainer is just managing your Docker containers. You don’t do anything with portainer to get home assistant front end to show.

port 9100 for portainer web Gui

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I was asking how to access the home assistant front end once it was running in portainer. For some reason exposing port 8123 wasn’t working. After restarting a few times it seems to be working though.

Thanks!

Make sure you only have one container using port 8123.

It’s recommended to use net=host on home assistant Docker

1 Like

Yep, I only had one, it just started working. However now it can’t read the secrets.yaml for some reason. I’m trying to move from the virtual environment to docker.

hey - SUPER useful thread! thanks for sharing.

I’m running into some issues where i need to amend the odd file here and there to account to some changing components (latest example being Ring). However to do that I need to either copy a file in, or mount the volume.

Does anyone know the folder structure of the HA docker environment? or how i would go about finding WHERE the files are located?

I would utilize the custom component and drop the component in my config directory

huh - interesting. so i can ‘overwrite’ the installed version if i copy into custom_components? i did not know it worked like that, but great tip! thanks (will read up on the custom_component usage)

@jpenyc, this is really great. This is what I’ve been wanting to do for awhile. I was hoping you could help me out though… I’m fairly new to docker and I’ve read the HA documentation over on how to install HA in docker… but I feel like there’s a step missing.

Do you have to first follow the instructions for raspbian home assistant, and then run the docker command?

I’m just a little lost.

Edit:

I’m realizing now that docker pulls the image down when you run the command…

@jpenyc Are you using SSL with your HA docker to reach HA from outside your network? If sou, would be great to know how you did that :slight_smile:

I used this guide to run docker on intel nuc. Full credit to the author x99percent for writing a terrific step by step guide and updating it. The last portion has ssl cert as well client cert generation to increase security.

dont get me wrong this is ok. I tried this as a test on a raspberry pi and nuc. but I quickly realized that the one thing everyone wants out of this wont be achieved this way and thats STABILITY!

you want to install it once and never have to look at it again, since you are already installing movie/tv automations (I did) you might as well go out and read up on UNRAID and then decide that yes its a lot of money but if it works its great. and OH EMM GEE :stuck_out_tongue: it’s so good that now my server has been running with everything on it since the summer with 0 server or docker issues. Before with DIY docker install etc I never got it to always work 100 percent of the time.

running
-sonarr/radarr/nzbget/transmission/homeassistant/grafana/telegram/influxDB etc (20 dockers total).
-pfsense (virtualized router integrated in my server, I was too cheap to buy a separate machine to run pfsense on)

and have had 0 issues.

This is not a GO BUY UNRAID but simply go and read up this sort of software (freenas is free but docker support is not yet as good) its the only piece of software that I love for the fact that it just works.

rambling done, sorry.

Ive done the course:
Rpi, NUC and now Unraid.

Moved to Unraid 2 weeks ago and i thinks it’s great.

Ive done the course:
Rpi, NUC and now Unraid.

Moved to Unraid 2 weeks ago and i thinks it’s great.

Hi, sorry to reopen this but I have docker running on macos but having trouble mounting my synology share to radarr docker container. Can anyone help? I have the synology mounted as smb share and also amended file preferences so that Docker can see Volumes/Media but when I try to run my compose file I get an error to say that docker cant see volumes/media?

hi. If I install in the docker phpmyadmin. How do I access? What is the access url?
thanks

4 years later I finally got around to it . . .