My ESP-NOW integration library - enable direct communication between your esphome devices even without wifi router

Hello everybody,
I’m a newbie as you will see by asking this … but the code indicated by iphong should be flashed in a sender device… so what should be flashed in the receiver (bridge)? or no bridge is needed? I’m a little confused. Any advice will be appreciate, thank you in advance

Here is a link to a more recent integration of esp-now for esphome

There is also a pending pr to include this into esphome

4 Likes

The user @motwok doesn’t exist here
Maybe @jesserockz can take a peak at this? It seems to be pretty far along

you can reach him on the esphome discord user @mo2000

@orange-assistant where do you run this command? HA instance command line?

I’m thinking of creating some esp-now based sensors.
To my understanding, ESP-now would allow these ESP-now sensors to communicate between themselves, but not with HA. For that, you need to use one extra ESP node as the “bridge” to receive ESP-now messages and then publish them to HA (via MQTT for example)
Is this correct?

This would require both protocols to be able to work alongside in this “bridge” node.

• can someone confirm that esp-now works alongside wifi?
  • @iphong I’m sorry but I’m a bit confused by your github repo… are we importing esp_now_connect.h or EspRC.h

Could someone give me an example: there are two switches, you need to synchronize them via esp now

For the latest and greatest pull request that brings esp-now into esphome a documentation is available :point_up_2:

Hope to see it released soon!

Doesn’t look to good actually if you follow the PR/feature-request. Mainly do tue insufficient people checking/trying the code and giving a review/feedback about the PR it might even never get merged as with every day the code bases are drifting apart :frowning:

It appears to me that one of the reason there is not much feedback, is because the instructions on how to implement the component is not clear on how you do this. I am not a coder and would appreciate some simple but precise instructions, I would love to help out with testing etc. I think this component is important for battery powered devices.

1 Like

Is it possible that somebody can share the configuration and details of how to set this up and have it working , I’v look in forums and discussions but this ,still have no success on actually getting this working from what I can gather there’s two or maybe more projects that is actually doing this but I can’t seem to get any of them working more help please :crossed_fingers:t5:

Is this what you are after? WiFi Now Component — ESPHome

Yes but I’m looking for instructions that makes sense to somebody who is not a coder, I’ve read through the links can’t seem to get to grips with it. :confused:

In these instructions it doesn’t state any way that you have to use an external component.

external_components:
  # replace 1234 with the number of the Pull Request
  - source: github://pr#1234
    components:
      # list all components modified by this Pull Request here
      - ccs811

I just need the correct details to fill in the relevant spaces. :thinking:
A little help please :pray:t4:

Look I am just trying to help by pointing you to the docs I can find. But the PR is 1290 so my (un)educated guess is

external_components:
  - source: github://pr#1290
    components: [ wifi_now ]

But you can see from the PR that at least one person had a failure with that.

Thanks for your time the documents ,aren’t sufficient and doesn’t do anything for me thank you anyway.

Well this component isn’t in esphome now and testing will obviously require some playing around. Did the external_component setup I quoted fix it for you?

Well that got rid of the error in the editor, I’m sure I tried this combination before, anyway I shall continue messing around with it and see where I get to thanks.

I’m trying to experiment with this feature too. Did you ever get it working?

That was me. PR1290 is based on an esphome fork of some months ago. I tried early Jan this year. I just looked at the pr and there has been development since then. I will try again.

1 Like