My ESP-NOW integration library - enable direct communication between your esphome devices even without wifi router

I have also started to work on an implementation for esp-now in esphome. It is mainly focussed on lights.
Check it out at GitHub

2 Likes

Hi, I’m trying to understand how this works.
Say I have a few devices like a switch, lights and some sensors
If I set the switch as the hub, and the rest of the devices as slave. So if the hub device crashes (homeassistant still online), then i won’t get any sensor info or control the slave devices?

That sounds about right if the esp’s are only connected via esp-now.

It is probably the same when you have Z-(:honeybee:/:ocean:)-setup and your coordinator dies :latin_cross:

But reading the readme on @tomrusteze github I somewhat read that is possible to have esp-now and “classic” WPA wifi in parallel (on the same channel). Not sure anyways how this could be integrated with his component :thinking:

The “best” of both worlds (for me) would be to maintain a WIFI an HA connection and in case the API (HA) isn’t connected to fire commands instead via esp-now :rocket:

Do you mind sharing some yaml examples?
I’m looking at @tomrusteze github because I want to send button multi click directly to the lights
But I’m not sure how to configure the lambda

Normally I’d use nodered and use the event node (for multi click logs) to dim the lights & change color temperature. But would be great if all that could be done with esp-now

Hi. Did anybody get strings working with wifi_now as payload? I use #PR1290 and numeric values are no problem, but strings just create rubbish in output :pensive:.

How can I use #PR1290 to toggle lights?
In the on receiver i just do not know how to toggle light from template. Binary sensor example I don’t get why is it set to pin 2 on receiver - is it because sensor section has pin as required? As I understand it, it should just be virtual variable or something?

I just wanted to uses binary sensor to toggle light wen it’s state changes.