My first upgrade of HA after installation using Docker&Synology

HI, I have followed the instructions here:
https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/

for upgrading my HA using Docker&Synology and the steps should be:

Remark: to update your Home Assistant on your Docker within Synology NAS, you just have to do the following:

Go to the Docker-app and move to “Image”-section
Download the “homeassistant/home-assistant” image - don’t care, that it is already there
wait until the system-message/-notification comes up, that the download is finished (there is no progress bar)
Move to “Container”-section
Stop your container if it’s running
Right-click on it and select “Action”->”Clear”. You won’t loose any data, as all files are stored in your config-directory
Start the container again - it will then boot up with the new Home Assistant image

But it didn’t work for me, my versions still displays 0.56.2, I think the first step is the only one I could have been wrong. When it says:

Download the “homeassistant/home-assistant” image

The process I did was, on Docker app, go to ‘image’ → Add → Add from URL–> choose 0.57.1 image and then I’ve followed the rest of instructions…but it did not work. Should I have used ‘Launch’ instead of Add (but that would have created a new container, I believe). Any help??, thanks!!

If you’re using the docker app in the Synology DSM GUI, go to “registry” on the left, search for “home assistant” and download it (should be second one in the list). Once you click download, it will ask you which version to download (I always chose latest unless I need a specific version to rollback to). Then follow the rest of the instructions and make sure you stop the container, select “action” > “clean” and re-launch the container and you’ll be running the latest version.

Thanks, I followed your indications and now I have 0.57 running but a new container had to be created.
The part of stopping the container, clean it (gave me an error here) and then start with the new image didn’t work and I had to create a new container, not a problem, but not as convenient. Not idea why it didn’t work for me.
Thank you anyway, I will try again next time, and maybe then I’ll get no errors in the ‘clean’ action.

Docker upgrade process for synology

Stop container
Delete container
Build new container with updated image
Start new container

Synology will check if Ports are used prior to build container. For this reason you must delete container. (If using standard Linux you can build container with same ports and it don’t care as long as both not running at same time. Allows for testing new version or quick version roll back if problem occur)

Fyi. Command line is faster as you can cut/paste one line and only need change version number vs manually entry into synology docker build app

Not true. Synology will check the ports are used and prevent you from creating another container that uses conflicting ports. Cleaning a container keeps the base configuration and settings but clears out the docker image it launches. It neither deletes not re-creates the settings or ports as the configuration never changes.

I stop my container, clean the container, relaunch the container and it runs the latest version I downloaded. This is how I have upgraded HA since I started using it around version 0.47 or so. I’ve never had to delete the container and re-create it except for when I need to revert back to a specific version (which is rare).

Apology but havent used Synology in 7month and I had old DSM10. Not sure if that matter.

Clean is unique feature of Synology I believe.

You may also build image using tag “latest”.
I usually build specific version , homeassistant/home-assistant:56.2 for example, so I think even with clean this not work for me.

EDIT
DSM 5. it was a while ago

Thank you both, the thing is that I couldn’t apply squirtbrnr method because after stopping the container, when trying to clean this old container it displayed an error, so I couldn’t go on with the updating process without deleting it. I hope next time I will be able to do it so. Thanks again.

HI, I tried this but it errors stating the container already exists, it doesn’t allow me to move the updated image to the existing container. Also, there is no clean in actions, only clear. Maybe things have changed?

clearing the container is synonymous with cleaning. It clears the logs and internal volumes of the container and forces it to start a fresh container without actually removing the container. If you have deleted the container and it is not letting you create a new one with the same name, then something in Docker did not work properly. I’ve had that issue before and fixed it two different ways. You can use the docker command line commands from an SSH terminal session to remove the container and image, then re-create the container. Probably the easier solution though is just reboot your Synology. Upon reboot, if the container was previously removed, then all record of it should be gone and you can create a new container.

I figured it out, it was because the image I downloaded. I didn’t download “latest”, once I did that all worked perfectly. Thanks!

I don’t know why they made this SO difficult to update. Why can’t it just update itself like every other app on the planet? I have tired all the steps above, but it keeps telling me there is an update available. How can you tell which version you have, and how in the world do you get it to update?

It’s not difficult to update.

Docker runs containers, so it is extremely easy to update, you just download the newer container, stop the older version, start the newer one. It’s really that simple.

If you run HASS.IO, it will give you the option to update from within the UI, under the info button. You can also check your current version in that same place on any installation.

You can find all the current docker versions of HA at this link

Thank you @kanga_who. Dumb question… Is this HASS.IO? It is the UI that is built in to my Home Assistant installation, accessible through http://192.My Synology ID:8123/dev-info. It does show the version, but I do not see an option to update.

As far as I can tell, no. It looks the same as my docker installation.

You need to download and start the new docker container in the same way you did you first time, except specify the version number. i.e. homeassistant/home-assistant:0.88.1

Can someone please update the top posting? This whole thread pops up on Google and deleting the container seems to be a bad idea as you have to set up the docker config etc again.

This is how you do it:
Do as in the top posting except for the action part: these days, in DSM it is called “reset”. So go to action, then “reset”, then fire up the container again.
Resetting the container will update it without having to set up everything again. Be aware re-downloading the image can take a few min and there will not be any notification until it is done.

The internet is a big place full of good stuff, crap stuff, and out of date stuff. Most people searching / posting are going to know to give less credence to a post from 2017 (5 years ago), nevertheless, there just might be something useful for them.

You’ve now provided more recent information - thankyou, this may help someone - although you are reviving a thread that was last posted to 4 yrs ago.

I certainly won’t be reviewing every thread I’ve posted to over years since I joined this forum to see if they’re still accurate. Many won’t be, some might still have useful info, it’s up to those searching to evaluate the benefit and age is one criteria.