My Home Assistant configuration… IT'S ALIVE

Hello bud thanks for this lovely share.

Quick question how do you use the life360 app to track your family? Does it work well with HA and does it give you real time updates?

1 Like

No problem, glad to share as I’ve gotten a lot of help from others who have shared. I run HA on a Raspberry Pi3 and it runs great. Github is pretty easy to figure out, just make sure your .gitignore is correct so you aren’t committing any secrets.

Yes, it’s been working great. Basically I just install the app on my wife and my phone and setup zones in HA. Using the Life360 integration broker leverages the Owntracks HA platform and updates the device tracker with your GPS coords, then the HA zones does the rest in updating your devices tracker status. I’ve been using Life360 for about 4 years and the HA integration for about 4 months and it’s been very stable.

Nice to hear!

Sorry to bother you with the questions but how often does the location update? and does it drain the battery in your phone?

From the app perspective I think when it’s in the background it will update every 5-minutes by default. But if you open the app it will automatically refresh. If you have drive tracking mode enabled it will update in real-time when driving. I’ve never had any issues with battery because most newer mobile OS’s handle location updates pretty efficiently.

I have the HA life360 broker fetching location every 3-minutes.

That sounds good. Are you using the custom component or the script?

Is there anyway you could write up a how to guide on this?

Thanks.

You have to setup the script and then setup the owntracks component to receive the data.

Read through the Life360 integration thread and let me know if you have any questions: Life 360 support

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

No problem. Hope it helps.

1 Like

Updated

New Devices:

Ordered Devices

New Automations:

• Lights - Interior Master Turn on at Sunset if Home
  • Lights - Interior Master Turn off at 845PM
  • Notification Text - Garage Door - Left It Open
  • Notification Text - Garage Door - Opened And No One Is Home
  • Notification Audio- Garage Door - Open For 30min
  • Location - Set Garage Notification On If 1 Mile Away
  • Location - Set Garage Notication Off If Close To Home
  • Guest - Set House Guest Away after 5 Mins
  • Guest - Set House Guest Home after 10 Mins
  • Holiday Lighting

New Components

May I ask what is pi hole and how have you used it ? I fail to understand on their website.

Thanks.

@bachoo786

https://pi-hole.net/ is software you run on your Raspberry Pi in order to turn it into a local DNS server. The use-case is:

1. To block known ad serving domains at a network level
  2. To cache forward lookups for faster browsing
  3. Monitoring and statistics

Thanks.

1 Like

How did you do the internet usage script?

It’s documented pretty well in my GitHub repo. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you very much for sharing your config! I’ve been using HA on and off for the past year and haven’t really got round to organising everything properly, however your setup has helped push me in the right direction and I’m now using yours as a template for my HA! I think it was the way you summarised your environment in the first post that grabbed me, so thanks for that!

I too have ordered a load of Xiaomi sensors so I look forward to seeing how you integrate them.

1 Like

Thank you for the nice comments, I did the same with @geekoftheweek’s repo. I had installed and played with HA for a while but once I read through his configs I got a lot of inspiration. Here is his repo: https://github.com/geekofweek/homeassistant

I’m really excited to get the Xiaomi sensors. I’ll definitely update the thread when I start playing around with them.

2 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout. I found it was a lot easier for me when I started to look at working examples so I thought I would do the same. Glad it has been useful to people.

3 Likes

Kodus on the Cox Internet Usage script! Just got it setup and it’s awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

Not much of an update, i’ve been doing mostly cleanup and some fixes. Received and setup my new Xiaomi Gateway and sensors and played a lot with the Emulated Hue Bridge.

Updated

New Devices:

Ordered Devices

New Automations:

New Components

Thank you so much for sharing. This is invaluable to me right now. Just started on HA last week using hass.io on a Rpi3. So I am totally new to this. This has cleared most of my confusion about how to use Groups and cards/tabs. :+1:

So far I have couple of echo dots, a few Sonos speakers, Harmony hub, Shield TV, Fire TV and a bunch of Sonoff switches. I am now looking to for some sensors and cameras.

As you are also using Xiaomi Aqara stuff - Do you know if this camera will be able to act as a hub for the Aqara door sensors? Or will also need the Aqara gateway hub?

Xiaomi Aqara Camera

Thanks

How do you handle all the REDACTED entries between your local working copy and the one uploaded to GitHub?