My Home Assistant won't notice that I (and my android phone) is not at home

Hi,
I have played around with HA on a Raspberry Pi 4 for a few weeks now, and most things work as it should. I couldn’t get MQTT to work with my Sonoff device but I’m happy to use ZHA just now.

I have the HA app installed on the phone, and the dashboard works fine as well. I have serious problem that I can’t get HA to notice that I’m out of home. I have added the, KB2003 device, for my OnePlus 8T android phone. To get text notice on the phone when sensors like motion or a door is opened, works properly, when at home or away.

I would appeciate any comment on this.

TIA //Lars

It’s not clear what you have tried. Look here hassio presence detection - Google Search

P.S. you have tagged this with zigbee but that doesn’t seem related.

Did you set up working remote access?

If not the app can’t report that you left home.

I tried to connect to my router using theASUSWRT integration, but the config result in a dialogue, that responded with a “Invalid hostname or IP address”, but I have no problem to connect to router directly via the weblogin. I assume the weblogin simulates the TELNET protocol.

I don’t understand how to accomplish that. Could you please clarify?

The TL/DR is that unless you’ve set it up, you can’t reach your HA install from outside your home network. You need to do that if you want your phone to be able to report where it is (using the app). You can do that with the (paid) Nabu Casa cloud service, or do it for free.

You can, of course, use other methods for home/away, such as Bluetooth, that don’t require remote access.

Is that rely true? When I’m out of home (no wifi) and someone opens the main door at home, I’ve got a notice in my phone.

That’s a push notification, that’s quite different to location reporting :wink:

Anyway I seem to got stuck at the moment. Using ASUSWRT was problematic. Red that ASUS has remove SSH login using passwords. Maybe creating ssh keys would work. TELNET don’t work when enabled inside router. Tried to see if I could catch the SSID, but I can’t get it inside an automation. I can see it though within the properties page of the phone device, KB2003. All these wifi entities are grouped together and called “diagnostic”, just under the sensor entities.

Update:
Can’t get SSH access working to my router. Now I’m check if I could use tags to set my phone to disable wifi when I’m going out from home, but it seems problematic so far.