My old timey radio voice assistant satellite contest entry!

Here is my entry into the Voice Assistant Contest!

I’ve uploaded a video of the build to my youtube channel

The case was fashioned from a chunk of cedar and made to resemble a 1930s bakelite radio. The voice assistant is powered by a ESP32 board and the electronic wiring and ESP32 YAML code all come from the example provided by JLo on his github.

As much as possible I went with the exact components that JLo listed in his instructions. The only major deviation was that I used a different brand of ESP32 board, but only because I already had one lying around. And I went with a different speaker because the one he used wouldn’t fit inside the box I wanted to make.

I had a lot of fun working on this project. I am excited about having a voice assistant that doesn’t depend on outside servers!

The case looks amazing!

Edit: clever idea for the light diffuser.

Very nice, wish I had the woodworking tools. There is also the possibility of buying an old radio and retrofitting.

1 Like

Thanks. Gotta use what you have sometimes. :wink:

I’ve been collecting the tools over several years through auctions and Facebook Marketplace, mostly. And I watch for sales.

Yeah I bought a sliding mitre saw at an auction recently, and it doesn’t go. Bad start to the collection.

That case looks absolutely gorgeous! I could see Ikea bringing something similar to their smart home line, it really looks professional :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’m open to a partnership with Ikea. :wink:

1 Like

The results of the contest are out!
They may be of interest to you :wink:
Have a look!

1 Like

That’s wonderful! Thanks!