My Smart Home

Hello everyone,
I figured I would post about my smart home project that has been going on for nearly 2 years now. My home started with simply some smart speakers (Google Home Minis) and a smart bulb.
My house has now evolved to have the following.
6 Honeywell Z-Wave smart light switches (1 is a dimmer switch for my front porch)
2 GE Z-Wave Smart Outlets
3 Eufy wifi smart light switches (These are being slowly replaced with more Honeywell Z-Wave switches)
1 Kwikset Z-Wave deadbolt conversion kit
6 Xiaomi Zigbee Door sensors (mostly the mijia line, but have 1 aqara door sensor)
2 Xiaomi zigbee Aqara Motion Sensors
1 Xiaomi Zigbee Water Sensor
2 Xiaomi Zigbee Vibration Sensors
Nest thermostat and Nest Hello Doorbell camera
Dome IP camera
Chamberlain/Liftmaster smart garage door
5 Google Home Mini Speakers
1 Vizio smart soundbar
Plex Server with tons of media
OpenSprinkler sprinkler controller
LED strip lights using ESP8266 controllers with MQTT for kitchen cabinet accent lighting and permanent decorative/holiday lights on the front of my house.

What did I do with all this junk?
Lets start with the light switches.

• Light Switches
    I have obviously linked all the light switches in with Home Assistant and have set up automations for pretty much all of them. The porch lights automatically turn on and off with the sunrise and sunset. The Formal living room light switch also controls the 2 smart outlets via double tapping the switch either up or down to turn on lamps in the formal living room. The front porch switch is also a dimmer switch, so the automation that turns the lights on just after sunset also only turns them on to about 20% brightness. Also, this switch if double tapped turns on the outside permanent holiday lighting. Also one of the switches close to my kitchen turns on the LED lights in the kitchen via a double tap.
  • Door Sensors
    Aside from having the door sensors be an alarm system, they also trigger automations around sunset/sunrise. If the front door opens after sunset, it automatically turns on the formal living room lamps. I put one of the door sensors on a freezer as one of my kids left the freezer door open all night and ruined a lot of our frozen food storage, so there is an automation to notify mine and my wife’s phone should that freezer door be left open more than a couple minutes. The garage door sensor automatically turns on the garage light.
  • All outside lights and the Kitchen LED cabinet lights turn off about 10 minutes before sunrise.
  • My home wired interconnected fire alarms have been integrated into Home Assistant via a relay switch connected to one of the Xiaomi mijia door sensors so if the fire alarms go off, it notifies home assistant.
  • The sprinkler system has been integrated to where I can control it through home assistant. Future plans are to integrate soil moisture sensors and have watering done automatically based on soil moisture levels.
  • The motion sensors in the house currently are used with the alarm and with lighting so if a room hasn’t had any motion for a specified amount of time, any lights in the room get turned off.
  • Plex server has been integrated so if a movie is started in the Family room from Plex, and it is after sunset, it will turn off all lights and turn on the kitchen cabinet LEDs.
  • Vibration sensors have been set on the washer and dryer so notification can be sent to phones when laundry is done or needs to be switched.
  • Working on getting a chore tracker and assigner built so I can automate at least the tracking and distribution of chores.
  • Camera record based on motion and automatically delete footage more than a week old.
  • Front door deadbolt can be controlled through home assistant.
  • Garage overhead door can also be opened and closed via home assistant and is being monitored via the alarm as well.
  • Nest thermostat and Doorbell camera have been integrated through the Badnest custom component.
1 Like

Hey, I am a bit confused on how you connected your fire alarms to home assistant. Can you explain further?

Of course. In most homes in the US all smoke detectors are wired so if one goes off, they all go off. I purchased a first alert relay (First Alert RM4 Smart Relay https://a.co/d/h0dL0LE) and used a Xiaomi ZigBee door sensor. Many of these door sensors have some solder points that will bypass the magnetic sensor to trigger the sensor when a signal is sent to those points.
I hooked the relay to those points so if the fire alarms go off, it trips the sensor.

You have to use the Xiaomi Mijia door sensor, not the aqara. The aqaras don’t have the solder point available. I’ll include a picture.

I’ll try and find more information, it has been a while and I have sense sold that house.

2 Likes

Ahh that makes alot of sense,
Going to try this myself, I am guessing I can do this via d1 mini and esphome with the gpio.
Thanks alot man :+1:

I am sure there are many ways to solve this issue. I chose the way I did as it didn’t require any programming of an ESP board or anything special aside from changing the entity type from door to something else. I can’t remember what it was.