My steps to success for Hass.io on Intel NUC

UrbanCowboy

xbmcnut

1m

@xbmcnut thanks heaps for the help mate! I eventually got there with @JesseWebDotCom guide.

which worked a treat…and i’m a linux noob

There is always room for improvement; however, i’ve had no problems running it on Ubuntu NUC, even picks up the Aeotec Zwave stick.
I roughly followed the steps here. Hope it helps.

Hi Mate,

Tks and i have tried with usb but did not worked. Maybe something I’m missing? I figure out how to on Raspberry PI to make the wifi works but at the moment im stuck on y intel NUC Celeron…

Just sharing my experience from migrating from Raspberry to NUC. I have flashed the Hassio directly to the ssd car and worked straight way with AEOTEC Z-Wave and ComBee + Bluetotth all working perfect. (I use Bluetooth for my temperature xiaomi sensors :slight_smile:

Anyway if some have a step by step on how to make the wifi work on NUC please share!!! :slight_smile:

All good now!! I have my Hassio NUC runing on wifi… just read the instructions again and format the USB for FAT32 get UUID and done. :slight_smile:

Well done!

1 Like

Hi Everyone, just been reading this thread and thought I need to join.
I’ve been using a RPi3b+ for a while now and it’s worked very well, but the tinkering side of me was too strong and I opted for a NUC. I bought the NUC8I3BEH, i3-8109U with a WD Green 240GB M.2 2280 SATA and Corsair Vengeance 8GB SODIMM DDR4 2400MHz. I am using Ubuntu 18.04 and Docker CE with Portainer. Portainer gives a GUI to Docker.

I have been trying to get it working for 5 days and nights and the problem I was having was that I couldn’t get Duck DNS to work. I couldn’t access my system remotely and I tried everything as there is a lot of documentation about issues with DNS resolve issues. But as it turns out, there was nothing wrong with that (DNS), but more the user, i.e. me! I forgot to reassign the port forwarding to the NUC from the RPi. Now, it is working really well.

I wanted to load an OS on the NUC, so that I can play around with possibly other home automation software. There is a specific install for the Intel NUC on docker, which worked really well. My recommendation is to have a read of this thread, HASSIO on NUC - My Journey and also this Install Hass.io. Please be aware that there the specific install command for Intel NUC is curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s -- -m intel-nuc.

I didn’t want to just install Hassio on the NUC as I thought it would be a waste of a powerful computer and hence I used Ubuntu as my OS. I also tried installing on Virtualbox, following Dr Zzs method on YouTube and the install works well. My only issue is that I didn’t like the idea that I couldn’t copy the snapshot file from the VM to a backup disc. I haven’t found out how to do this. Some might say that I can take a snapshot of the VM and that is true, but if I wanted to install hassio somewhere else, I prefer to use the hassio snapshot. If anyone is moving from RPi to a NUC using a snapshot, I advise you to delete the home-assistant_v2.db file and let hassio rebuild a fresh database after restore/transfer. One advantage of using Ubuntu is that it is very easy to access the snapshot file and back it up elsewhere.

Other things of note was that I was using a Raspbee zigbee GPIO module, which was brilliant and I am now using the USB version, Conbee. It is very responsive and installed/worked very easily. One warning is, reboot or shutdown through hassio will literally reboot or shutdown the NUC. It is best to do this, as stopping hassio (i,.e. through Ubuntu shutdown may disable automations, but in these cases, I made an entity card to check that automations are enabled. The NUC I’m using is silent, I cannot here it! The bios states that the fan is running at 2000 rpm, but I can’t tell.

As a new user, apparently I can only post 2 links, so sorry if there is a lack of links.

I hope my experience above is of help to others. I am very happy with the NUC.

2 Likes

Great share. Thank you!

Awesome, I was planning to do the exact same setup. Great to hear that it was a painless experience. I can use one right now…

What path did you use to connect to samba from a computer in your network?

I was able to follow your steps without any problems, though I’m having trouble getting Samba to work. It might be because my Hassio installation is on a VM (VirtualBox), to verify if that’s the problem I would like to be sure that the path I use is correct.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all

I am running Hassio on an Intel NUC with Proxmox from about two weeks. The VM OS is Ubuntu Server 18.10

What I’ve noticed, is that the Xiaomi Aqara Gateway is not working properly (it works only for the light), not working on the sound part.

I’ve read that when in Docker Hassio (but also other container) should be run with the option --network host --user 0

Same things happens to my other VM with Nodered, if I try to connect to the gateway thru the proper node, it does not connect.

I’ve Portainer to manage Docker, but I haven’t found a way to add this --network host --user 0 option to the actual node without loosing anything.

Is there a way?

Thanks

If you’re running Hass.io, the install would have taken care of this.

I’ve installed Hassio following this guide

In Portainer in the Container homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant the network is host and in the hassio_supervisor Container I have bridge and hassio networks.

But, as I said, the Xiaomi Aqara works only as light, but not as sound

My config is

xiaomi_aqara:
  discovery_retry: 5
  gateways:
    - key: !secret xiaomi_aqara_key
      host: !secret xiaomi_host

I’ve set also log

logger:
  default: error
  logs:
    xiaomi_aqara: debug

But I don’t anything in the log

I have only the entity light.gateway_light_xxxxxxxx and nothing more.

But maybe I’m wrong and there is something else in the xiaomi aqara configuration

PS: I found this thread and it seems he has same issue, not resolved

I’m considering taking the leap to NUC. I’m on a RPi3b+ running Hassio nearly seven months now and beginning to feel the SD card failure demon lurking in the equipment closet. I’d feel better on a more robust platform. I’ve assembled the following in my shopping cart:

• NUC8i3BEH1
  • 2x4 GB SO-DIMMs
  • 500GB SSD
  • 250GB M.2 2280 SSD

I’d like to run more than HA on the box. The Ubuntu/Docker/Hassio scenario seems best for me as I currently take advantage of several add-ons and see more opportunities to use add-ons in the future. A faster, larger-scale database, perhaps node-red, and new management tools as I find them.

Investigating Ubuntu has me confused. Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Core, Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS, and others. I’ve read through Hassio on NUC guides, people’s recommendations, and any threads I could find. My goal is to clarify what’s best for my requirements and how best to get things up and running. I welcome all opinions on what’s best. Thank you.

Hi GaryK,

I have a similar setup, except I’m using a BOXNUC8I3BEH3 and only 1x8 Gb RAM, so that I can expand to 16 Gb at a later date. Also, I don’t need an SSD just yet.

I had a similar dilemma as to which flavour of Ubuntu to use as well. Ubuntu server which you have not mentioned is accessed via another computer via a browser via web interface. I excluded that as I wanted to be able to interact the OS directly from the NUC. Ubuntu Core is a light weight (stripped) version of Ubuntu Desktop and does not come with a lot of things, such as media player and other things. I excluded this as well, as I wanted a full OS that I could do things with if I should choose to at a later date. However, this is meant for IoT devices as I think security is at the top of the list for requirement for Core. Now to the desktop versions, there is 18.04.2 LTS, which Ubuntu will support for 5 years (from release) with updates - this is up until April 2023. LTS stands for Long Term Support (I think). Then there is also 18.10, that has some more updates to the GUI (and other stuff) and has support until July 2019. I personally used Desktop 18.04.2 LTS, as I wanted long term support with software and security updates and also a fully functional OS to do whatever I wanted in addition to running Hassio in docker. To give you an idea, I also installed Virtual Box and had a play around with Hassio in a virtual environment. I’ll also be able to run other programs on the OS and on docker itself. If you use docker, install Portainer as well as it allows you to maintain the volumes and containers through a web interface.

I’m now going to throw a spanner into the works. Can you wait till about 18th April? If yes, then this is when they plan to release Ubuntu 19.04 LTS. I’m going to try and upgrade to this and hope it doesn’t mess up my system.

I’m very happy with my setup and it’s been working great, so I can recommend Ubuntu Desktop, although I haven’t really stressed the system by running other stuff. If you’ve seen the stats in reviews for the NUC8i3BEH, you’ll see it’s not far behind the i7 in the previous generation, so I have a feeling it will be able to handle a lot more than what I am currently using it for. I also purchased a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse, so that I can sit on the sofa and use the NUC, which is currently attached to my TV.

Nice configuration.
Probably you’d better choose 1x8g ram and check if it’s OK, so that if needed you can have more room to grow.
Now I have an Intel Nuc i3 with 1x8gb ram and 250ssd.
I’m running Proxmox as virtualizer OS and then I have a VM with Ubuntu server 18.10 with Hassio and a VM with same Ubuntu with Nodered, Pihole and Motioneye.
All docker containers are managed by Portainer.

I think I will try to move to 19.04LTS to have support for more time, as mentioned before

I was just reading on Ubuntu site that LTS version are released every two years, so it should be on April 2020, not 2019. Do you have different source?

You can freely use SSH or the local terminal ON the machine, so I assume you meant you wanted a desktop?

The next LTS will not come until April of NEXT year. Not this year.

Yes, I wanted a desktop to work off. I find it easier to copy snapshots from the file manager and back it up on my server. I just prefer having a desktop environment and in te event of a network problem, I can just access the NUC directly.

EDIT: I stand corrected, 19.04 is not LTS. I had assumed that as it was x.04 that it was an LTS. Based on that, I won’t upgrade and will stay on 18.04.2 LTS.

They already have Beta testing: http://releases.ubuntu.com/19.04/

And here are a couple of articles for 19.04. If you google it, there are are a lot of sources stating 18th April:

I am well aware of the Ubuntu schedule. I have been using Ubuntu since 2004. What we are telling you is that THIS release, 19.04 is NOT a Long Term Support release.

From one of your links:

Like all the non-LTS releases, Ubuntu 19.04 will follow a 26-week schedule and will be released on 18 April, 2019.

It is a NON-LTS release.

My bad, it’s not an LTS. Sorry.