My steps to success for Hass.io on Intel NUC

You can freely use SSH or the local terminal ON the machine, so I assume you meant you wanted a desktop?

The next LTS will not come until April of NEXT year. Not this year.

Yes, I wanted a desktop to work off. I find it easier to copy snapshots from the file manager and back it up on my server. I just prefer having a desktop environment and in te event of a network problem, I can just access the NUC directly.

EDIT: I stand corrected, 19.04 is not LTS. I had assumed that as it was x.04 that it was an LTS. Based on that, I won’t upgrade and will stay on 18.04.2 LTS.

They already have Beta testing: http://releases.ubuntu.com/19.04/

And here are a couple of articles for 19.04. If you google it, there are are a lot of sources stating 18th April:

I am well aware of the Ubuntu schedule. I have been using Ubuntu since 2004. What we are telling you is that THIS release, 19.04 is NOT a Long Term Support release.

From one of your links:

Like all the non-LTS releases, Ubuntu 19.04 will follow a 26-week schedule and will be released on 18 April, 2019.

It is a NON-LTS release.

My bad, it’s not an LTS. Sorry.

Hey, that’s OK. I won’t wait till 2020.Thank you for your feedback. I’ll move to a single 8GB SO-DIMM and go ahead and load 18.04.2 LTS desktop after I update the NUC firmware.

Hope it all goes well. Burns HA did a good video on installing Portainer that I used. I’m going to post a few links that may be useful to you:

HASSIO on NUC - My Journey

Portainer (start at 3 mins) - https://youtu.be/_3XR1gx0lVo

By the way, remember to change the port forwarding on your router for your Duck DNS to your NUC IP - I spent 5 days trying to solve why I did not have remote access until I realised I hadn’t changed the port forwarding on the router to the NUC’s IP.

Thank you. The links will be a great help. I haven’t been near a UNIX box since SunOS waaaaay back when. My ISP gave me a static IP, but I’ll reserve an ip address for the NUC. It’ll do DHCP by default?

Getting the Ubuntu image on the NUC requires an adapter to upload the image file to the SSD, or is a USB stick sufficient?

It does, but you can set a static IP address during the install.

You just use an app to get the iso burned to the USB. Rufus or etcher

Thanks! I’ve got Etcher.

OK, I’ve downloaded: ubuntu-18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso. Is this the correct version for Intel?

If you’re referring to the AMD64 part, yes. AMD64 is the architecture

Thank you. I’ll get the BIO file for update and be ready to go.

These are two guide I followed to install Hassio on Ubuntu 18.x in Docker and to install Portainer in Docker

Hassio in Docker

Portainer in Docker (the Portainer Installation section)

So, run frenck’s script is all?

After installing Docker, yes.

Then you can restore your backup, installing previously all the addtional repositories in the Addon-Store, if you have any.
And that’s it!

I get error rootdevice waiting? Followed new guide from @xbmcnut

Seeing as I started the thread that has created a lot of discussion, can I ask a favour?

Can people share their logbook, history loading and reboot times so I can figure out if I need to move up to an i3 or i5? Currently I’m running HassOS on the Intel® Celeron® Processor N2830 with 8GB RAM but it’s getting pretty old now. CPU usage is always below 10% though and I’ve got a lot of devices.

Mine:
Restart: 1m 30s
Logbook = 4 seconds
History = 15 seconds

I’m running https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/71484/intel-nuc-kit-dccp847dye.html and also have HassOS loaded. Also only 4GB of ram.

My reload time is 32 seconds
Logbook and history are both 3 seconds

Maybe is not correct to evaluate times independently on how complex is HA configuration and how many devices are defined in recorder and history.

Another thing to evaluate, also, is if on the Intel NUC there a virtualizer like Proxmox or VMWare ESXi, for example.

My system is an Intel NUC I3-8100 CPU with 16GB total ram and 250GB SSD with Proxmox as virtualizer and Hassio on a VM with 2 vCPU and 3GB ram based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Hassio is installed in Docker and there is no other software installed, except the Hassio addons.

Mine are:
Restart = 1m 09s
Logbook = 2s
History = 2s

Thank you for your guide it helped me so much. I had a few hiccups as I couldn’t install docker with the code supplied kept getting 404 and permission denied error, a quick google search and got the latest code from docker site which worked.

Does anyone know if I’m able to run other things apart from hassio on Ubuntu with docker on Intel NUC? I’d like to install kodi and plex on my nuc as well is this possible?