My way to install HASSIO on QNAP NAS

I wolud like to play sounds as feedback to some events in home assistant.
A more challenging scenario I wanted to test was to setup a personal voice assistant.
I was thinking about Snips… just before Sonos anouncement :frowning:

hello, I hoop someone can help…

My issue :

Setting it up works great ! BUT ,

when I restarted the VM On qnap, my hassio is not comming up again.

how do i start hassio ?

I can acces ubuntu server tru Putty

it says :

CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
da927c73d88c homeassistant/amd64-hassio-dns:1 “coredns -conf /conf…” 8 minutes ago Up 8 minutes hassio_dns
f726585eabea homeassistant/amd64-addon-configurator:4.2 “/run.sh” 17 minutes ago Exited (143) 8 minutes ago addon_core_configurator
d73e79f32bdd homeassistant/amd64-addon-ssh:7.1 “/run.sh” 25 minutes ago Created addon_core_ssh
563823ff15fc hassioaddons/tautulli:1.3.0 “/init” 25 minutes ago Exited (129) 5 minutes ago addon_a0d7b954_tautulli
b8b003f40945 hassioaddons/adb-amd64:0.5.4 “/init” 25 minutes ago Exited (129) 8 minutes ago addon_a0d7b954_adb
467132f2a885 homeassistant/amd64-addon-duckdns:1.10 “/run.sh” 25 minutes ago Exited (1) 25 minutes ago addon_core_duckdns
f46c9e2e68e2 homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.103.5 “/bin/entry.sh pytho…” 6 hours ago Up 8 minutes homeassistant
403f459a998a homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor “/bin/entry.sh pytho…” 6 hours ago Up 8 minutes hassio_supervisor

But my IP:8123 is giving me a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
\

when I restart the vm on qnap it doesnt start automatically

This guide is fantastic. Thank you very much for it. Everything worked flawlessly out of the box.

I was able to get Home Assistant to work on my Qnap however, the CPU in the resource monitor is consistently running at >90%. My Qnap has a dual core 2.41 GHz Intel celeron processor with 16gb of RAM. The only thing that I run on the Qnap is a few dockers and stream media to my Plex. Should I be concerned and switch back to my PI 3b+?

@BjornH
Can you please update the hassio-installer link in the first post to:
curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh" | bash -s

10x

done, thank you for notifying

1 Like

I am a newbie, with a QNAP TS-453 PRO and I’m reading this with a view to the best way to set up Home Assistant and it seems you went from zero to hero quite quickly, so i reckon you should stick with this on the Qnap, rather than change to Pi as you have learned so much. Good on you. Inspirational.

Mark

1 Like

I managed to install HASSIO through the workaround of ubuntu inside a container, but now I can not access it as i have no username/password!!
the once used in the ubuntu default user are not working. any idea?
also can not find where the configuration file is in order to reset the auth.

would appreciate any help.
thanks and keep safe!

Hi,
Thanks for the tutorial. I’m getting stuck, though. When I try to install docker I get an error.

curl -sSL https://get.docker.com | sh

I get:

root@homeassistant:~# curl -sSL https://get.docker.com | sh
# Executing docker install script, commit: 442e66405c304fa92af8aadaa1d9b31bf4b0ad94
+ sh -c apt-get update -qq >/dev/null
E: The repository 'https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu focal Release' does not have a Release file.
root@homeassistant:~# 

Any help would be appreciated.

I suggest you work with 18.04
20.04 is too new :slight_smile:

Yes you are correct. No problem with 18.04.
Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Sorry to disappoint You Mark, but I run it all on an Pi4 now and everything is stable. I have done quite a few updates during this time and they have all just worked. Of course the little Pi is not as powerful as the Qnap but I do not have a lot of automations that requires that any way.
I just have to remember to make regular backups because I do not trust the SD that much.
best of luck!
//Thomas
p.s… of course the hassio has come along way as well making it more stable

For the people who want to use 20.04, another option is to install Ubuntu-provided version of Docker:

sudo apt install docker.io

instead of …
curl -sSL https://get.docker.com | sh

However, this method is no longer valid because supervised is no longer supported. So what is the best way to install on NAS. I have it running in a container station but is only the core installation.

I currently run supervised hassio instance in Ubuntu and I am very happy with the way all things work together. Yesterday I got myself new QNAP NAS which supports both VMs and containers and I am looking for a way to make a supervised installation on the qnap as well. However, the only solution I came up with(and I haven’t tested it) is to import a OVA VM image which has been in BETA state for a long time. Any suggestions?

Did you test the OVA VM Image? could you give some feedback?

thank you!

Hello, i have tested it on Qnap 453Be with 16GB RAM. I think the script installer.sh has a failor. in Line 17 the install breaks in Ubuntu with:

bash: line 17: syntax error near unexpected token ‘then’

i’d checked the script in Line 17 there is no " ; " semikolon after the then. How can i add this ; in the installer.sh.

please help me. i will test it for others Qnap-Users

thanks a lot

Willi

Hi all,
It seems everybody here is trying to install Hassio within a Linux VM container, but why not directly within Docker which is already available in Qnap?
See instructions here:

Or am i missing something?

Cheers,
Max

I gave up the hassos VMs because I couldn’t import any of the images in the virtualisation station.

I tried some guide which suggested to convert the image using virtualbox on a pc and then add it to virtual station on the NAS. The VM started booting but got stuck at “booting from HDD” and also other users who tried this method also reported to have the same issue.

Finally, I decided to install Ubuntu Server 20.04 as a VM and run the supervised-installer script(which is deprecated and gives some wired error and I had to use its older version). It works perfectly fine with the only drawback that the VM + the Virtualisation Station use 2GB of RAM(1GB for VM and 1GB for the Virtualisation Station)

As @max480 asked, from what I understand the supervised installer just installs a bunch on docker containers one of which is the hassio-supervisor and sets up their network.

I am also thinking: Isn’t it possible to just manually set-up these containers and their networking in the container station on the NAS? It will be way more efficient and will save precious RAM and probably the only way for guys with 4GB RAM to install hassio on QNAP.