My Zigbee devices update their data only once, during restart

Aqara Zigbee temperature and humidity sensors never update once a minute, the only update after a certain percentage of change.

It is impossible for the sensor not to update the temperature for more than an hour during parallel monitoring.
I know that the temperature fluctuates between 0.1 and 0.5. Also, the 1st floor sensor shows that I have 29°C, while I now have 27.9°C.
There is definitely a problem, and I don’t know what it is, i’m wondering why the Mosquitto broker logs are writing ‘closed connection’,could the problem be coming from there?

What happens if you take the sensor close to your mouth and breathe on it? It should give a reading very quickly then. It has nothing to do with your logs, that’s normal communication.

1 Like

This, is supervisor checking if the mosquitto add-on is still running. Nothing to do with your Aqara sensors.

I did the test you told me about. I didn’t leave it for a few seconds but for more than 15 minutes, right next to the air conditioner. Unfortunately, the temperature remains at 29.44°C. It should have been at least 23-24°C. I don’t know if it matters that the sensor is on the upper floor and that the signal is 56 LQI. However, it shows as online.

How many routers do you have, and how many end-devices ?

This is an interesting read about Zigbee:

In addition to explaining how your network is built, a delete and re-pair would maybe help. I have plenty of these sensors and they report reliably until they need a battery change (then they stop reporting).

My setup is very simple.
I have a Raspberry Pi 4 running Home Assistant and a single Zigbee USB adapter connected to the Raspberry Pi.
There are only 2 Zigbee devices, the Aqara ones shown in the screenshot.
Could it be possible that the issue is related to the wrong firmware on the adapter?

What you mentioned, I did that today. I re-paired to see if it would fix the issue, but unfortunately, the same thing happens.

One coordinator, 2 end-devices , of which one is on another floor. Not much of a mesh.

This is what a healthy Zigbee mesh look like;

2 Likes

As Francis said, you need more routers. Almost all zigbee devices that are mains powered can route. Get a couple of power plugs or some bulbs and it will help. IKEA has some dedicated routers too that you can power over USB.

1 Like

Can I suggest a solution? If the problem has to do with signal coverage, for example on another floor, should I get a second Zigbee USB adapter? And how would that connect?

If you flash it with router firmware that would help. But you probably need more than two routers to get a healthy mesh over two floors. 2-4 more strategically placed would probably be fine. For reference I have three floors and 42 routers, 29 battery devices.

Now I understand the logic; in general, this protocol works with the mesh method.
Ok, I have a coordinator, but I definitely need devices that do routing to strengthen the signal. So, all Zigbee devices that are powered by electricity act as routers?
I am interested in something like this:

Will it work as a router?

Not entirely , ‘no neutral’ switches are normally not routers but end-devices.

Alright, do we have any examples of cheap devices I can buy that work as routers?

It’s probably easier if you paste some devices available in Greece.

I can tell you my own experience with Aqara humidity/temp sensors: they suck. Seriously, their battery life is garbage and they will drop from the Zigbee network on a whim. I have two right now that worked great until they didn’t and nothing I do will bring them back online except to re-pair them. On the other hand the Third Reality temp/humidity (which are far larger) work a treat all the time.

I have the opposite experience. I have 6 that have been working rock solid for 4 years and only changed the batteries twice in that time.

As for cheap routers - Ikea plugs - E1603/E1702/E1708

Also about 90% of light bulbs behave as routers (but be aware they must remain powered!)

I can also confirm that the ZBMINI-L2 is an end device as I use them - they are not routers.

I still have one that is working great, but it’s twin that I got at the same time decided to drop off the network and no amount of factory resets and re-pairing will bring it back - even if it’s within 12" of the dongle - and my Zigbee network is mains heavy and well saturated. That’s the thing with such devices, what works for some doesn’t for others for unknown reasons, perhaps it’s environmental :man_shrugging:.