Mycroft AI voice assistant

I’ve been following the Mycroft Mark II for a while now, but I cannot see it being mentioned here.
Anyone having experience with their Mark-1 voice assistant, or their opensource software on other hardware?

1 Like

I used to have several mycrofts running. From those I could control entiies on homeassistant and read sensors etc. Really cool.
Mycroft is fun and easy to write new skills to. There is a skill for controling Homeassistant.
I can defently recomend using mycroft in combination with Homeassistant.

1 Like

@andlo,
Glad to find you here :blush:
@Anderen2, I too agree Mycroft is very easy to write skills and works well with the Homeassistant skill.
Both HA and Mycroft have great communities of skilled developers.

2 Likes

Would you mind sharing a bit code or links? I read that snips will shut down the console for private users. That’s awful as it was a real gift

That does suck about snips but truth is it wasn’t truly open source from what I understand.
@andlo has compiled a pretty good list of skills for mycroft but I can’t find the link to that.
Here are some links that could get you going.
Feel free to ask, here or on their forum.
https://mycroft-ai.gitbook.io/docs/about-mycroft-ai/why-use-mycroft

https://mycroft-ai.gitbook.io/docs/skill-development/introduction
2 Likes

Mycroft here https://mycroft.ai/
The homeassistant skill here https://market.mycroft.ai/skills/9d62238f-c2e4-474b-a5c4-2f55c6babac0

and if you want mycroft to act as notification on Homeassistant read here https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/mycroft/

Idd recomend using a RaspberryPi setup for mycroft using picroft and a speaker and mic (I like the google AIY kit) Se more on mycroft for how to setup a mycroft.

Tehre is a great comunity on mycroft so just go on their mattermost channel or their forum and lots of nice people are willing to help - just like the great comunity on Homeassisant.

but be aware - when first gotten started playing and making new skills will get you hooked :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Almost forgot @DrZzs did a great video a while back. There have been some updates since this video was released but for the most part it should give an idea of some of the home assistant functions.

2 Likes

I’ve a reeespeaker v2 .should work as it works with alsa … I’ll have a look and flash a SD card to check this out …my only criteria is to run offline thanks so far for your great answers

Great to see the same people here :smiley:

Just checking in as HASS and Mycroft user as well. Mycroft works perfectly together with Home Assistant, both ways; Asking to turn on/off things and also using Mycroft as TTS for Home Assistant (thanks for @DrZzs indeed)

Only thing to add to above is, that the wakeword of Mycroft A.I. uses precise-engine which is rather demanding on a RPI3, so doubt if mycroft and hass on the same RPI would be workable. Any other bit more beefy hardware should not be a problem though.

Mycroft doesn’t run fully local out of the box, however it anonymizes all request, so privacy is still in mind. Mycroft development aims to really replace Google/Alexa and for that it needs a very strong STT/TSS combination. It relies on DeepSpeech from the Mozilla foundation, which needs some spicy hardware for it to perform in a timely matter.

2 Likes

coould you give any direction on integrating your google voice aiy with hasso and mycroft? i currently am using hasso and planned to add mycroft to it rather than use picroft and adding hasso. is there a big performance/control difference with one over the other? also i have about 8 or 10 of the aiy kits and have been planning to or rather hoping to use them throughout my space and also to offload the local tts/stt system to a more robust machine. i had used jasper previously in this way but am unsure if the hasso/mycroft combo will allow for a decentralized/distributed control system. any suggestions would be great. im unsuere at this point whether to proceed wioth the hasso base mycroft build or if i should switch to picroft base plus hasso now

Well not on same device. One Pi running Homeassistant, and another running Picroft and have the Google Aiy voice kit installed. When installing picroft you can coose the AIY voicekit and it will install the drivers etc.
After it is setup, and paired install the AIY skill (it enables the light and botton) and then install the Homeassistant skill and set that up (read about that on the skill page).
The homeassistant skill conects to the homeassistant unning on other Pi and then mycroft can control that by voice.

Setting up the Homeassistant I recomend reading about that on Home-assistant.io.

Does anybody have an example on how to use Mycroft to e.g. tell me the value of a temperature or humidity sensor on request?
How do I get a response to:
“Hey Mycroft, what is the humidity in the master bathroom?”

any thoughts on this? https://gitlab.com/ndarilek/hassio-mycroftstrong text its an addon that apparently lets you use thje same device without issue. i tried to install it but dont hjave a docker account and the pulse audio kept erroring out

I would say that as mycroft is ressource consuming it is better to have mycroft on different device. Also you proberly want deice in diffferent rooms so you can speak to him all over the house and no only from one place. Mycroft is a smartspeaker and homeassistant a hub for controling lots of stuff.

I just started using Mycroft and have been using Home Assistant for a little while now.

What I have noticed with Mycroft is there are some videos from Drzzz and other youtube videos I have seen that have the skills from the marketplace and the option to add them right at the mycroft account page and even modify the settings of those skills when logged in. However, mine doesn’t have the option to add any of the skills it just lists them. Then I can click on them for more details and go to the github repository but again I can’t add them to install. I tried to install the home assistant skill through python and github but I am getting a cannot detect archive format error. Is there something I am missing or did they remove this functionality? I wasn’t sure too if it is because I am not paying the monthly membership fee? Thanks in advance!

I think it No longer posible to install throu market. But Just ask Mycroft by saying “hey Mycroft - install homeassistant”

Then he Will install the skill.

Lr you can install throu shell with
Mycroft-msm install homeassistant.

If you Are into making or Changng skills i recomend the Thia Ide skill wich installs a complet devolopment enviorement on your Mycroft device which can be accesed throu your Web browser.

urghh that was simple haha, I just asked Mycroft and off it went, thanks!

Working perfect, Cheers!

2 Likes

For anyone who might be interested I have written a Mycroft.ai MQTT skill which will integrate well with HA. I am sure this creative community can find some great ways to integrate Mycroft MQTT to Home assistant, if you do let me know. If you are interested you can find what you need over on github.

4 Likes