MyFitnessPal - Health Component

Similar to the FitBit component, MyFitnessPal would add some cool potential!

3 Likes

I use MFP so I would love to see the integration but what use cases would you use it for?

1 Like

Two obvious ones I thought of would be something like flash lights/TTS reminder if workout goal not hit by certain time, TTS when goal weight met. Dashboard component showing total/goal/food cals.

These may be possible using integrations to other platforms and I’m sure others may come up with some other creative uses.

1 Like

I love both of those use cases! I’d be happy with the basic day/week/month numbers but a sensor to play with would be fun. :smiley: The MFP api gives your data for the past year in JSON pretty easily.

Loved this app when I was being healthy

I have a page on HASS called Fitness but it’s mainly just my Fitbit data. It’d be great to see MFP there too. An interesting use case is to check if you’ve worked out today starting at 7pm and if not, and the TV is on, keep hijacking your TV with a workout video.

Or if a workout video is casting, might as well pump Eye of the Tiger over Google Home.

1 Like

I use this to get my current weight.
Maybe we could look to build a custom card using this data?

1 Like

I found an mqtt overlay for this. I’m trying to get it working locally with the hope of making it an addon eventually.

Currently I have a PR for the exercises moving in the client.

There’s also a problem if you have no measurement for body fat. In that case you receive an error and you have to comment out all mention of that measurement.

Looking for a custom component to make in my free time and this looks like a useful one for myself. What would people want to see in a version 1? I’m thinking of the following monitored conditions:

• calories (daily)
  • calories burned (daily)
  • carbs (daily)
  • fat (daily)
  • protein (daily)
  • sodium (daily)
  • sugar (daily)
  • weight
  • body fat

I’m not entirely sure how I’ll manage the daily sensors, i.e. I ONLY want the totals for the day. I don’t want to see a graph of my calories going up throughout the day, just one number for the day is all. I’ll have to do some research on that. Anything else people would say is a must have?

2 Likes

Actually, I think a graph with Cal and carb throughout the day would be useful and interesting. Automations could be built to warn or congratulate as goals are meet or not met at certain times. Also for protein and fat.

That’s true and a template sensor could probably be used to get daily totals or grafana

If it happens, I may have to switch back to MFP from Carb Manager. :grin:

:rofl: I actually just switched back myself

We use MFP for tracking calories for a program at work to get a discount on our health insurance. Having this tie in to Home Assistant would be great. I can make Alexa yell at me if I open the snack drawer and have already met my calorie limit for the day!

I don’t know how easy it would be to swing this, but my husband and I have separate accounts and it would be nice to integrate them both. (This would be nice to have with the FitBit integration too…)

There’s already an official FitBit integration

Edit: Or are you just talking about the Alexa thing? You’d be on your own for that, no integration would do that. A sensor on the drawer + an automation to check current calories = Alexa TTS

Yeah, I know how I would integrate to make Alexa talk.

I mean having more than one account that I can get sensors for more than one person in Home Assistant. Right now I only have my Fitbit account in HA but would like my husband’s as well.

It would be nice to have multiple MFP accounts. I would also like that with the Fitbit integration is all I meant.

Gotcha. Yeah, it will support multiple accounts

I reinstalled it and $9.99 / month for the same functionality I get from CM for free may be a little much. Gonna play with it though. I wonder if CM has an open API?

Did this project go anywhere by the way? Looking to hook up a calorie tracker automation to shut off my TV for a day when I fuck up :smiley:

Nope :slight_smile: stopped using the product so lost interest