MyQ Remote Light

I have a Liftmaster MyQ “Remote Light” (823LM). There is also a plug-in style (825LM) and Chamberlain equivalents (WSLCEV, PILCEV). These switches can be programmed to turn on/off with the garage door motor light, or they can be controlled from a button on a garage door opener remote. They can also be controlled from the MyQ app.

It would be great if the MyQ component was updated to include support for the status/control of MyQ remote lights. I’m thinking a MyQ hub component should be created for the general connection to MyQ, then a MyQ switch component can be added in addition to the MyQ cover component that exists for the garage door.

Unfortunately, I haven’t yet had the time to devote to learn what’s involved in creating components for Home Assistant (I’ve been wanting to get my Haiku Home fans integrated also.) If there’s interest, maybe someone more familiar with this will work on it!

I too have an 823lm light switch. And personally, I am not interested in automating my garage doors for security reasons. So instead of updating the existing MyQ cover component, I took some of the existing Home Assistant MyQ code, rewrote parts of it and created a new switch component called MyQSwitch. This new component only operates on the LampModules found via the MyQ gateway. If you would like to try it out, send me a message with your email address and I would be happy to send it to you. I would like to find a few beta testers before I post the code to github.

Hey mskressin. Does your component code support the 825lm model as well? Have you had any beta testers yet? I would be interested in trying it out.

I don’t know if it will work with the 825lm switch since I don’t have one to test it with. However, I have no reason to believe that it won’t. I have had the original poster of this thread testing my component for a few weeks now without any problems. If you would like to try it out, send me a message with your email address.

Are you still letting people test your rewrite? I have some MyQ lights that I would like to add to Home Assistant and also don’t care much for the garage door control.

Sorry, I am no longer accepting beta testers of this component.

I too have a couple of these lights and would like to add them. Will you be making your component available to others?

Same here. I’d love to integrate my MyQ outdoor lights so I can make them flash when my alarm is triggered.

Did anything come of this? I’d love to integrate the MyQ light switch in HA.

I was able to use it through Smart Things and MQTT but if I hit the switch directly or use the MYQ app it doesn’t update Home Assistant. But when I use HA to turn on or off the MYQ app does update to the correct status. Not sure why it doesn’t work both ways. It would be much nicer to have it directly linked to the MYQ service and update both ways.

@mskressin I know this is an old thread but I was hoping you might be willing to share your code to control MyQ lights. I have a couple that have stopped working in on my Vera home automation controller and I was hoping I could make it work with Home Assistant. Thanks.

Sorry, I had to abandon that code. The constant polling of the MQServer was causing problems.

This currently is not possbile at the moment. There is no API, so HA is basically making the garage doors think it is the app controlling it, and the app has no support for light control.

I guess I need to turn on my notification alerts. I didn’t realize you both responded. Sorry for the delayed reply.

@shanem I just opened the MyQ app on my phone and it shows both my lights and when they were last turned off.

I did a little more digging and it looks like Home Assistant is using the pymyq integration from arraylabs on github. There have been a couple of pull requests for adding lights but none of them have been merged. Unfortunately I don’t know enough to add the code myself. I was hopeful they would merge a pull request but there has been no response to my question. I’ll just have to keep learning and maybe get this working someday.

Oh, sorry, i guess mine just dont support light control

hey @claytonjn - Is this integration still operating, or has it fallen prey to the MyQ api issue? Also wondering if it is possible to flash the switches with something like MQTT and totally bypass the API issue? Would be great if you could respond either way.
BTW - I founded my smart home on 2 Chamberlain MyQ GDOs, 2 wall switches and a lamp plug in 2014. This BS with the API has totally killed my automations (including holiday automations - since it is now December). I had since added 2 more switches and another plug, and now none are operating under the Home Assistant auspices. Really frustrating - I was able to make the system dance! (ha ha). Planning on getting 2 ratgdo devices, but this leaves me high & dry for the switches and plugs. Would really love to flash them and make them bend to my will (locally).

There never was an integration in this thread, it was a feature request. Some time after the thread was created support for switches was added in the official integration but as you know that has stopped working. A while back I switched to the MyQ Home Bridge which adds HomeKit support, which is local (I was getting annoyed with the unreliability of cloud integration). So for my personal situation I haven’t been impacted by the MyQ changes. I think the Home Bridge was discontinued so I’m not sure if it can even be found anywhere, and it was a huge pain to get paired initially.

Thank you for the information. Actually, my initial foray into smart home servers was Homekit and HomeBridge. I was able to get my stuff to work with that (at the time) - I have a CIGBU/C Gateway - the original one (before “native” HomeKit integration). I wanted to try Home Assistant, but was initially reluctant to do away with Homebridge, and at one point tried to dual-run (Virtual machine) both, but could never figure it out. Then scrapped the HomeBridge because Home Assistant had just come out with a native Apple/HomeKit integration. Perhaps I can try Homebridge again with another computer.
Currently running Home Assistant on RPi4.

Actually I didn’t’ mean the Home Bridge server, I meant the MYQ 819LMB MyQ Home Bridge which brings the MyQ devices into Home Assistant locally using HomeKit.