MySensors, ESPHome or something else

Hello friends of the automated house,

not shure if this is the right topic, if not my apologies.

I would like to submit the following;

Currently i have automated part of the house via MySensors, which works well, but it is quite complex to adjust or update anything, and for good integration with HA I would have to reprogram all nodes.
In addition, I have a gateway that I have to reset regularly, and then also have to reboot HA, which is quite annoying of course.

Now I wondered what an alternative to MySensors would be, of course I immediately thought of ESPHome, of which I have also made some things, which is certainly less time-consuming.

I mainly created the MySensors network via RS485 with an Ethernet gateway, because I prefer a wired network in this case.

ESPHome is of course via WiFi, but I saw that it could also be connected via wired Ethernet, is that recommended?
What I also saw is that an Arduino can be used as a port extender, but is that a good choice?

My current MySensors network is now approximately as follows:

Most are equipped with an Arduino Pro Mini.

• 1 network in the meter cupboard
  • 8 outputs (relay),
  • 6 inputs, 1 DHT & 2 MQ sensors
  • 2x control for water valve garden water, open & closed (control and status), 1 flow sensor 1x DHT sensor
  • 1x water meter node, proximity sensor, Dallas temperature, pressure sensor, open/close (control & status) water tap, humidity sensor (with logic that closes the tap in case of leakage or excessive flow)
  • 1x display node with display on Mega mini, with various inputs and outputs for buttons, LEDs and panel meter.
  • And an old telephone that I can use as an alarm (bell) or selection (dial).

In addition, I have my own network for gardening, which includes, among other things:

• An Arduino Mega use for analog & binary inputs and outputs,
  • A weather station with two pro minis,
  • Thermostat and ventilation control for the shed.
  • A valve control with 4 valves and 4 moisture sensors,
  • And a ground temperature node with 6 Dallas temp sensors.

What would you advise, upgrade and adapt the current MySensor networks, or replace part of it with another system?
And what would be the best choice for me?

I have now used a Zigbee DIN rail relay for one of the outputs in the distribution box, which I like because of the extras such as metering.

Indeed, no ready-made components, but many self-made (diy) components.

I would like it if you could give me some tips, with the wired network as a starting point.

thanks in advance for your input!

1 Like

Esphome certainly works via wired Ethernet, although the devices with built in Ethernet will cost more than a $5 esp32. If you have the wiring, do it.

I would do one sensor/controller at a time. You’ll soon get the hang of it, and decide if it suits you.

I have two ESP32 (out of twenty nodes) that have Ethernet ports (this uses up a lot of GPIO pins). On the whole I have never had a problem with WiFi but two nodes have high data and I wanted a direct connection. And I had the luxury of nearby handy Ethernet cable or two.

I endorse anything made by quinled.

@nickrout it was, I think your recommendation that I ended up using Quinled!

1 Like

@dzjr I use both MySensors and ESPHome. Both are great and very stable for me. I use the W5100 ethernet gateway for MySensors and it’s rock solid. The only time it reboots is if my home has a power outage (maybe once a year).

I find I usually make new devices in ESPHome because, like you said, it’s easier to update after the sensor has been placed. I usually make my more complex sensors using MySensors because I find it’s easier to do advanced coding (for me at least because I know it so well).

I have two Ubiquiti access points and I’ve never had an issue with wifi. I have MANY wifi devices with ESPHome and Tasmota (probably about 50) but maybe wifi won’t be as reliable for you.

I have made an ethernet sensor using an WT32-ETH01 and some MCP23017 expanders which gives me something like 48 i/o ports. It is working well. I have a test sensor using an Arduino Pro Mini and an ESP8266 which is working well but I haven’t put it in “production” yet so I can’t speak to how it works long term yet.

I don’t know which direction to tell you to go, but you might want to check out ESPHome first. If you can’t do what you need you can most likely accomplish it with MySensors.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Pete,

In any case, I am going to replace the gateway, and I want to replace one of the MySensors Nodes for better integration in HA, and I had already looked extensively at the ESPHome site, and there are many options there!

Thanks again!

I never understood why people would use an Arduino solely for a port expander. Arduinos use more power, they’re somewhat large, its very wasteful and way more expensive than just using an actual port expander plus the i2c ones can be chained together, giving you far more available gpio than any Arduino can.

1 Like

Not to create e-waste ? If you have some arduinos laying around that are not used any more, why buy something new ?

Didnt i give several reasons already? Size, power consumption, wastefulness, its an inconvenience, etc.

Not create e-waste? Lol So keeping it or throwing it away are the only two things you can think of to do with them? Theres lots of schools who would like your old stuff, neighborhood kids, younger relatives, community centers or after school programs…

I donated boxes of arduino’s, sensors, motors/servos, raspberry pi zero’s, all my arduino books, etc to a program that teaches this stuff to young kids to inspire them and keep them out of trouble.

Theres lots of options besides sitting on your shelf or sitting in the trash. You just have to be about it and not just talk about it.

Gpio expanders are very cheap and they do what you need and only that. They dont come with a bunch of crap you cant or wont ever use. Thats why you just buy new ones.