Mysterious associations that I don't remember setting up

I have about 30 Z-wave devices and suddenly things in the house started coming on when a motion sensor in the garage was triggered. In the process of debugging this, I even shutdown Hassio and it continued to happen. While I never intentionally set up any associations, it appears that several of my devices now have multiple associations to other devices. I’ve made quite a few changes lately but nothing I did should have set up any associations.

My question is, what’s the best way to undo this? Can I just delete the associations or do I have to exclude and include all over again?

I had the same thing and the only way I managed to get back to a sensible position was to exclude and reset each node and then re-add the offending nodes, I never found a way to delete the associations.

Arrgh! That’s what I was afraid of. Any idea how this happens in the first place?

Not a clue I’ve never played with associations since I don’t want any 1 device controlling another :P, Mine wasn’t to bad as I only have a very small network 1 sensor, which was causing the trouble and 6 lights/switches.

There must be a way to remove/change the associations.

Can’t help you with what that is though, unfortunately.

OK, thanks for the info. Like you, I’ve avoided associations altogether. I guess I’ll get busy …

There doesn’t appear to be from within HA, but you may be able to change a file somewhere, I don’t know :P, however since it’s in each switch I can’t see how you would do that via a file.

Dunno, but something must’ve changed to create the association, ergo changing it back must undo it.

Like I say, I don’t know the whys and wherefores, I’m just thinking out loud based on the logic of how these things work. I’m thinking nobody would buy Zwave stuff if it randomly changed associations and there was no way to ammend it.

It sure was confusing when it started happening. My 3D printer is on a smart outlet and it came on after I walked through the garage. Weird …

I think it depends on the zwave implementation, HA uses Open Zwave, which doesn’t seem to follow all the options at this time, I’m sure it will get better over time tho’ :slight_smile:

Try this?

(obviously with remove from group!)

I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

1 Like

Has anyone resolved this?

I know this is a really old topic, but I thought I’d share, just in case someone else encounters the same situation now and needs help resolving it.

I’m running Hassio 0.108.8 in Docker, and this still seems to be an issue.

I was just messing about with group associations for my Fibaro Motion Sensor in frontend, by adding a light (controlled by a Fibaro Double Relay) to the Sensor’s Node Group Associations.

Unfortunately I couldn’t remove it through the same method, and even after deleting its entries in the Motion Sensor’s node parameters (COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION and COMMAND_CLASS_MULTI_CHANNEL_ASSOCIATION) in zwcfg_.xml, the light would still continue turning on when the sensor triggered.

So I had to exclude the Motion Sensor, reset it and then re-include it, and that fixed it.

Zwcfg_*.xml is essentially just a cache of each devices configuration. Changing values in it has no effect on the device. You need to use a GUI like ozwcp to make changes to associations.

Apologies if this is a little off-tangent, but do changes to the zwcfg_.xml really have no effect?

Not that I doubt you or anything, I’m just asking to better my understanding of how it works, cause I have edited values in the xml before in order to get some Z-Wave devices in my setup functioning.

For example, I had to add a CommandClass in the xml, before my Remotec key fob would work, as instructed here.

The command-class things work if you STOP, then modify, then START. If you change it in-flight nothring will happen

Oh yeah that’s what I did when I modified the Motion Sensor associations.
In fact there was not a trace of the relay’s Z-Wave node id anywhere within the sensor’s config in zwcfg_*.xml, but somehow triggering the sensor still turned on the relay’s light.