Nabu.Casa being offline brought Home Assistant OS to its knees

Mine is still stuck waiting cloud process to start since one hour, preventing HACS to finish starting.

Well, system is back. All good. But the issue is still valid and a huge problem. Inability to access the Home Assistance Cloud should not adversely affect the rest of the HA system. Iā€™m on the trial of Nabu Casa, so I will try to see if the same behavior occurs when setting up my own Alexa integration.

So, being new to HA, is there an official way to ā€œopen an issue?ā€ Github?

Thatā€™d be the way, over here.

The problem seems to be that HA waits for 5 minutes for any integration to startup, which when a cloud service is down is a big deal. If youā€™ve got multiple services down, or your Internet connection, that could add a significant delay.

I agree that itā€™d be good for HAā€™s startup if it didnā€™t wait so long for any cloud based service to startup. Or even better, just didnā€™t wait so long for any non-critical integration.

1 Like

Agreed. I would think non-critical integrations should be allowed to load asynchronously. But thatā€™s the opinion of someone with very little HA knowledge. Anyway, I will try to duplicate the issue by simply cutting my HA off from the internet and open the issue.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if itā€™s only HAOS that this is affecting?

From the behavior described here it seems it should affect all versions of HA not just HAOS.

If so then someone needs to change the thread title to be more inclusive for us non-HAOS usersā€¦ :wink:

Ironic as hell! Iā€™ve seen this happen a few times. Yesterday, I thought initially it was tied to the days I did version updates on my Supervised Home assistant NUC w/ Ubuntu 20.4 but now I see itā€™s a deeper problem with the Nabu Casa functions that needs to be addressed by the devs. I went to my ā€œofficially supportedā€ Debian dev system and same thing happened.

The Alexa integration (actually this should be universal) should also check Status of the AWS cloud and warn the user so we donā€™t spend hours thinking something else is wrong. Iā€™ve done this at least 3 times now. For those that donā€™t know, The service status URL is

https://status.home-assistant.io/

Thanks to @123 Taras for that! Iā€™ve been on Nabu Casa for several months now and it works ā€œmostā€ of the time!

Is there a cloud status Lovelace card/integration that I donā€™t know about that could help here? If not, there should beā€¦ other than just embedding that webpage in a card.

Jeff

My HA Core in a python virtual environment also was effected, yes.
But everything else started up and was working, only remote access not.

1 Like

Bummer. I am currently running with remote access using dyndns, but thinking of moving to Nabu Casa for improved security, but also for the sake of supporting the project.

Did anyone report this on Github? Couldnā€™t find it.

Issue has been opened. Sorry for the delay.

(1) Nabu.Casa offline ā€œeventā€ causes Home Assistant startup sequence to stall significantly. Ā· Issue #43752 Ā· home-assistant/core (github.com)

2 Likes

I see on github the issue was resolved in 118.4 but Iā€™m still having issues with startup when not connected to the internet. Most importantly my Zigbee2MQTT entities take 17 minutes to become accessible.

I get this error constantly:

ERROR (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.remote] Can't update remote details from Home Assistant cloud (timeout)
WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Waiting on integrations to complete setup: cloud

Until finally it gives up:

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to set up dependencies of default_config. Setup failed for dependencies: cloud
ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for default_config: Could not set up all dependencies.

Was this fixed for everyone else? I canā€™t see any details of what was fixed. Is there any way to bump MQTT up the list so I can at least control most things whilst itā€™s timing out?