Nabu Casa direct acces to add-ons? Security in mind

Hi guys i have a question.

I’m redesigning my home network more towards security and client isolation (VLANs for IOT/Guest, Firewall rules etc) and i would love to minimize the amount off ports I forward/open to the outside evil webs.

Currently im using the Duck DNS Add-on to access and control home assistant and some other add-on’s (traccar for example). I was thinking about switching to NabuCasa cloud because then I can support the project and as far as i have read its less of security risk.

I only have one question and that is if its possible to access add-ons directly trough Nabu casa or do i need to access them trough the home assistant webpage/app?

Reason: Me and my Dad have/share a car as a hobby which we occasionally drive together or alone. Its in my apartments garage and he lives about 25 min drive away. Instead of constantly asking me or me asking him if he took the car, i bought a cheap GPS tracker which we both can follow trough the Traccar Add-on so that if im gone with the car he doesn’t waste his time driving to my house. It works great this way.

The thing is, I don’t want him in Home Assistant but only in traccar. Hes 70 and the traccar app i have linked with my HA instance is a 1 button solution instead of him needing to dig trough HA pages or menu’s. The current solution just has a .duckdns.org:PORT address and port which i forwarded in my router which is very easy to use.

Hope someone can help. Or has a good solution.

A reverse proxy like NGINX or CADDY allows you to only open one port and connect to many servers through that port. Both are available as addons for Hassio.

David did a write up on Caddy here:

https://dew-itwebservices.com.au/setting-home-assistant-up-for-secure-access-over-the-internet/

2 Likes

Look at this:

Ill read it thanks! Maby better then all open ports.

@pollinolas Woow how could i have overlooked that post. Will read! Thanks