Nabu casa down?

Most of my system is on my local server, but:

• Nabu Casa means no phone access, though I could use a VPN to remote in if I had to.
  • No link to Alexa, so those functions are dead including announcements
  • No link to SmartThings so I can’t remote open my Yale Door Lock
  • iPhone locator (due to Nabu Casa app)
    -Strangle the Velux KLF integration won’t work either and that’s not a cloud service, so must be a failure in the boot process or order.

KNX lighting & heating rules! - all local so no issue

Limited impact, but a timely reminder not to rely on cloud services for a Smart Home!

Also keep that old steam radio and Terrestrial running and your ham radio license because come a another Carrington event the only radio and comms that will still work will be the one that you left in the box when connected to a 12V car battery!

1 Like

Stop Press… All back in the UK a minute ago! :slight_smile:

Amazon does own a good portion of the internet…no matter who you send your payment to. :slight_smile:

Yes, But I live in Europe, I should not be relying on one single point failure in US.

1 Like

So Nabu Casa is using AWS Cognito for authentication, but Cognito does not yet work across AWS regions, so your AWS app will fail if Cognito fails in the region that you’re using, even if the rest of your app has multi-region HA for other AWS services. This is not good enough if you want your app to be highly available to your customers! Hopefully they are looking at alternative auth providers, because this is a pretty bad single point of failure.

I have a Nabu Casa “connected” status icon in a Lovelace “Glance” panel.

When Nabu Casa was down I expected to see the icon change to “not connected” status, instead I just got the yellow warning triangle saying “entity unavailable”

To me that defeats the object of the sensor. The sensor should be local to my instance of Home Assistant and not relying on a cloud indication that cannot possibly work if there is a connectivity issue.

It’s the computing equivalent to taking a class register by saying: “anyone who is not here put your hands up”

Mine said “Connected” throughout the outage. I was as surprised as you.

Did you reboot?

Are there problems with NabuCasa?
Today, since about 5am CET I cannot connect to my HA through NabuCasa. It worked yet at about midnight. And of course it still works locally.
Of course Internet connection works as expected.

I’ve sent a question to NC support but got no response yet.

Browser says that request has been interrupted.
in console I can see following errors:

Načtení „https://XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.ui.nabu.casa/lovelace/“ se nezdařilo. ServiceWorker předal do FetchEvent.respondWith() promise, která byla odmítnuta s chybou „Error: no-response :: [{"url":"https://XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.ui.nabu.casa/lovelace/","error":{}}]“. [service_worker.js:1:520](https://XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.ui.nabu.casa/service_worker.js)
No strings exist for error: corruptedContentErrorv2-title [aboutNetError.js:231:13](chrome://browser/content/aboutNetError.js)
setErrorPageStrings chrome://browser/content/aboutNetError.js:231
initPage chrome://browser/content/aboutNetError.js:285
<anonymous> chrome://browser/content/aboutNetError.js:1302 

Not working in browser nor mobile app.

My Nabu casa account/uplink works fine.

So the problem laid in HA itself. Some process in HA died on its own.
I was asked by N.C support for enabling specific logging. But this requires HA restart so all previous logs are lost. But I copied one of last messages I saw log is flooded with:

2021-01-08 14:59:53 ERROR (MainThread) [snitun.client.connector] Can't connect to endpoint 127.0.0.1:38825

Unfortunately HA restart brought N.C connection to live. So we still don’t know what happened. Maybe most recent Supervisor version (?) It is the only thing which performs changes out of my control.