Nabu casa down?

I tried a voice command and GH says it can’t reach Nabu Casa. I tried to connect to it with a browser and the landing page looks just fine. But when trying to login I get:

504 Gateway Time-out

1 Like

Same here…

same for me

Same here.
Fetching subscription…
Cloud connection status Connected

Says Connected but not working.

Trying to log in to my account:

504 Gateway Time-out

Amazon is having issues https://status.aws.amazon.com/

1 Like

Ah, that could be the issue. Hopefully fixed soon.

I just signed up for the trial and got a lambda error when trying to activate, presumably due to the AWS issues.

I see from the AWS status page that the Kinesis issues are affecting the us-east-1 region only. Does this mean that Nabu Casa only operates out of that single region? If so, are there any plans to make it multi-region, to avoid AWS SPOF such as this?

It’s error on Amazon end, I contacted nabu casa support - super quick reply:

We use AWS Cognito for our auth and they are experiencing issues https://status.aws.amazon.com/

8:56 AM PST: Kinesis is experiencing increased API errors in the US-EAST-1 Region. This is also causing issues with Amplify, API Gateway, AppStream2, AppSync, Athena, Cloudformation, Cloudtrail, Cloudwatch, Cognito, DynamoDB, IoT Services, Lambda, LEX, Managed BlockChain, S3, Sagemaker, and Workspaces. This issue has also affected our ability to post updates to the Service Health Dashboard.

The Alexa skill is also hosted there. I can send an update as we learn more.

1 Like

I just had a reply from them and it’s a problem at Amazon as they use AWS Cognito for auth and it’s having problems. The status page is at https://status.home-assistant.io/#

1 Like

I didn’t even know the HA status page existed :smiley:

I happened to be in the process of re-starting HA during this outage and found that HA is VERY slow starting. Not sure if this is all due to the Nabu Casa issue or if there are other problems. In any case, HA should not be waiting on cloud connectivity to complete the start up.

2020-11-25 12:11:27 ERROR (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.remote] Can't update remote details from Home Assistant cloud
2020-11-25 12:11:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.roku] Error fetching roku data: Invalid response from API: Timeout occurred while connecting to device
2020-11-25 12:11:59 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Config entry for roku not ready yet. Retrying in 80 seconds
2020-11-25 12:12:07 ERROR (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.remote] Can't update remote details from Home Assistant cloud
2020-11-25 12:12:47 ERROR (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.remote] Can't update remote details from Home Assistant cloud
2020-11-25 12:13:03 WARNING (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.iot] Cannot connect because unable to refresh token: Gateway Timeout
2020-11-25 12:13:24 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.roku] Error fetching roku data: Invalid response from API: Timeout occurred while connecting to device
2020-11-25 12:13:24 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Config entry for roku not ready yet. Retrying in 80 seconds
2020-11-25 12:13:27 ERROR (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.remote] Can't update remote details from Home Assistant cloud
2020-11-25 12:14:07 ERROR (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.remote] Can't update remote details from Home Assistant cloud
2020-11-25 12:14:47 ERROR (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.remote] Can't update remote details from Home Assistant cloud
2020-11-25 12:14:49 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.roku] Error fetching roku data: Invalid response from API: Timeout occurred while connecting to device
2020-11-25 12:14:49 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Config entry for roku not ready yet. Retrying in 80 seconds
2020-11-25 12:15:12 WARNING (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.iot] Cannot connect because unable to refresh token: Gateway Timeout
2020-11-25 12:15:27 ERROR (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.remote] Can't update remote details from Home Assistant cloud
2020-11-25 12:16:07 ERROR (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.remote] Can't update remote details from Home Assistant cloud
2020-11-25 12:16:14 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.roku] Error fetching roku data: Invalid response from API: Timeout occurred while connecting to device
2020-11-25 12:16:14 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Config entry for roku not ready yet. Retrying in 80 seconds
1 Like

Still not running. To be honest, I’m a little surprised that a service that entire households are attached to is only running over one region.

4 Likes

This! I thought my recent tinkerings had completely broken my HA installation. I was getting the infamous never ending “Home Assistant is starting, not everything will be available until it is finished” message. I was even planning to try to restore an older snapshot.

I was suspecting that Nabu Casa downtime could be playing part here, but couldn’t believe the HA would grind to halt if an external system would be down.

The issue is rather annoying as you can’t seem to be able to remove the (currently broken) nabu casa integration as the system is stuck booting.

True, Home Assistant is being used by people all over the world. So seems a bit strange to have this service only running in one region. Now it’s just a single point of failure… There is no high availibity.

2 Likes

It is the same AWS issue. Also affected are other services like Leviton Decora Smart, and I would bet anything else that runs on AWS

So we are paying to rely on one single point of failure?

I was setting up Duck DNS to get a Let’s Encrypt certificate for my AdGuard Home and then I restarted my system and cloud kept giving me errors, my system wouldn’t finish starting, so I did a snapshot, went back and error kept appearing, was ready to reinstall and well…Glad I found this thread.

I’ll sit tight and wait, talk about timing!

And now Nabu Casa is back and booting was as snappy as it used to be. Now including the ability disconnect from Nabu Casa. There is definitely a major bug in the booting process, which basically prevents HA booting when Nabu Casa isn’t online.

I expect that the team will probably address that in an upcoming release, along with perhaps some review of the HA Cloud setup to hopefully eliminate a single point of failure.

Ring is down for me in the UK, also my HA has only just started working with Hue again

Other lights I have are still down and showing AWS errors in the app