Nabu Casa "Family plan"

Hey folks, I would like to check the possibility of having a more affordable Nabu Casa plan for who like me has it’s main server and also one or 2 other servers for parents, grandparents.

My case:

• Main server (my home), lots of automations etc.
  • Parents house: just basic stuff so they control lights with their phone
  • Grandparent: same above

Paying 60 euros per server it’s a bit too much for my pocket, but if there was a more affordable plan (maybe with limitations) I’d be happy to pay.

Context:
My family lives in Brazil, 60 euros for them per year is a lot of money.

I would love this too, but I see the cons for nabu with it, open to abuse ect 3 or 4 accounts for a lesser fee, maybe the way forward would be in the panel itself.

3 Likes

Agreed, I have 2 systems and whilst I would not pay a separate price for each, I’d be happy to pay a slightly higher fee to have 2 systems.

4 Likes

+1 for no not needed. Seems like most agreed this was useless until you turned off comments. :+1:

1 Like

Great idea!

1 Like

Why do you need the nabu casa plan.
If it is only for remote access, than it’s not needed. Install a vpn addon and connect through vpn to the network.

I use this and it’s free of costs.

You are right: if I would be alone I would do the same. But I can’t expect my wife to always remember to set up a VPN connection first.
Can imagine its the same for the OP.
ps
One of the reasons why I have smart bulbs and HA is, that she forgets to switch lamps off :wink:

I also have one HomePod mini at home and we all have an iPhone.
I connected the HomePod mini to home assistant. So you can use the home app from Apple as well.

My wife uses the Apple home app a lot for this.

I don’t get it, what has this to do with Nabu Casa or any other remote connection like a VPN?

If it is only about remote access, you can make a Home Assistant installation available (for free) via https through a Cloudflare tunnel.

See this add-on for details:

It’s a bit technically involved, though. And you need a domain, which is not entirely free but much less. You only need one domain and can use sub-domains for as many home assistant installations as you need.

The cloudflare „free“ plan should easily cover all your needs, though. There are also YouTube videos that can help you with the setup.

There are free options other than NC if you cant afford to pay for 2 accounts. Given the recent price increase I will say this request is simply not sustainable in the long/short term.

Home automation isn’t exactly a cheap hobby, even if you try to keep it minimal. Honestly, I don’t get how paying a small amount to NC is an issue when there are also many free alternatives — plus you’re supporting the development team when HA is totally free to you.

There are also NC annual subscriptions that can safe you money.

You’re basically talking about the price of one Philips Hue bulb for a year’s service.