Nabu Casa has acquired ESPHome

I dont think MQTT can go away with esphome in home assistant - its needed when using deep sleep due to the connection to broker, the api relies on home assistant connecting to esphome, which will timeout in deep sleep.

Exactly so I do’t know why people started assuming ESPhome will now get closed off or something and only be able to used with HA. That said of course it was made in the first place FOR integrating with HA

You can’t “adopt” a logo and protect it, for example. The word “acquire” was already expected to trigger some and it was discussed but it was decided that anything else would be inaccurate. There’s no need to feel disturbed. It’s a way to keep ESPHome going, the same way NC helps keep Home Assistant going. And it isn’t like ESPHome was some random project with no relation to HA. It is very much tied to HA, though it doesn’t have to be, which is a great thing about it. I know Frenck has been a huge fan from the beginning.

“criticism is difficult” - but you’re doing your best? :smile:

No one is obligated to find the negative of any one thing or jump to conclusions but this happens very often. The other direction for the project was for it to wither, which is not fun to imagine.

11 Likes

Now, for coherence, you have to change the name of EspHome so, suddenly, for no reason at all (così, de botto, senza senso)
I propose EspHome Core

4 Likes

Just reactivated my Nabu Casa subscription! I had been rolling my own external access, but I’d rather give you guys $5 a month if that means these tools remain open. Thanks to everyone who turned this project into what it is today. And thanks for sharing!

I can’t live without ESPHome.

14 Likes

How about ESPassio?

4 Likes

If it means ESPhome continues to grow and be supported, all for it

2 Likes

I’m sure Expressive will be pleased, I can’t imagine how many of their chips have been flashed with binaries produced by ESPHome.

1 Like

Yes, PLEASE, don’t go down the path of “make it easier” and start requiring everything to be configured from a UI.

3 Likes

SMH, seriously? This thread shines a not very flattering light on this community.

4 Likes

This is great! ESPHome has become such an integral part of helping make dumb things smart!
Thank you soooo much to Otto for brining so many ESP devices to life in such a set-it-and-forget it way. I have no doubt that @jesserockz and @glmnet will carry the torch well, they’ve already been busy and I look forward to the things to come!

i think it just comes down to being a popular project, always going to have some people who are negative to any announcements

1 Like

From its beginnings it was always tailored towards HA.

Esphomelib - library to greatly simplify Home Assistant integration with ESP32 - Third party integrations / ESPHome - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

4 Likes

I don’t use esphome and don’t intend to but this strikes me as a very good move. Hopefully support will improve when it’s no longer a one-man-band. (never could get past the wifi issues with 1.4 (?) ) Can’t see myself switching from Tasmota anyway…

It’s great that ESPHome has been acquired by Homeassistant.
However, forgive my ignorance, but what are the benefits on Nabu Casa subscription?
I can already connect to my HA when out of home without port forwarding etc, I already have an OpenVPN set up on my NAS, doesn’t everyone these days?
Anyhoo is there any other benefits that I’m missing out on?

1 Like

Cloud configuration (nabucasa.com)

Nabu Casa is seamless; open the HA app away from home and it connects. The benefit is to the community via the HA devs because the $5 per month goes to funding development. It is a very small price to pay for benefits of HA.

1 Like

I don’t use Nabu Casa, but use Esphome a lot (without MQTT in HA). Sound like nothing is changing in terms of access and development :+1:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for supporting the project, I’d happily pay a fixed price for HA.

But with all respect, my connection is seamless already, with no effort, as I already had a VPN to home (for my NAS, like every other NAS user who wants external access).
I was just wondering if I was missing other advantages.

The Alexa integration I have already with a two-liner in the configuration.yaml (local without cloud)
emulated_hue:
listen_port: 80’

Which VPN does you use and is it TrueNAS?