Nabu Casa has acquired ESPHome

Just curious, as I know very little about the software world, but how do you acquire an open source project? Is it a chat with Otto, maybe a check, and then he transfers the github?

1 Like

Great news and thanks to @OttoWinter for creating and maintaining ESPHome for such a long time!

3 Likes

Discovery is not required to use a device with mqtt nor home automation system. It’s helper to automaticly recognize and add mqtt device to the system. And sometimes it’s limiting too
So why this “had to develop”?

Regarding the subject… lot of great projects were killed by similar activity. one party doesn’t have interest to maintain project anymore, second party sees some benefits from ownership… It ussually changes a perspective of why and how project is maintained.
It must not turn into catastrophe. But I don’t get your enthusiasm.

1 Like

I also have VPN on my pi, but being able to reach my home assistant dashboards from everywhere, without having to set up vpn is worth something. Sometimes I use other peoples hardware (like work computer), where I can not just configure a VPN to home.

Also Google assistant is quite easy to set up through Nabu casa. So easy actually, that we just run all our stuff from HA to Google assistant, instead of connecting the dedicated apps like hue, trådfri etc. Gives a one-place to configure and enable/disable stuff that we want to control with voice.

But most importantly, it’s also a way to better the odds of the main brain in our home automation keeps being developed and maintained.

Hells to the YES! Very good news for Home Assistant and I hope the cooperation will only get better and better! Great job Nabu Casa.

No, if I do my best you’ll can’t contradict me :wink:
It is a good thing in a project to predict the bad things that could happened. It allows to avoid them :wink:

I would like more transparency on this word “acquire”. But…

Nabu Casa has paid to aquire ESPHome ? It’s not fair for the community of not being able to know.

If Nabu Casa ACQUIRE ESPHome with money (the word is important) it is to make a profit, sooner or later, in one way or another.
Either it will pay off, or they will find another way to monetize and thus make their investment profitable. I hope it’s not the case but I have the right to want to be reassured on this point because I am not the only one to ask myself the question.

2 Likes

It’s not a public company and you have no skin in the game so theres that…

5 Likes

Ahah you think that I have no skin in the game :smile: ? May be not in your country…
I like to know what I am participating in. And I’m sure that HA intentions are good.If you read between the lines I am not criticizing but I need to be reassured :wink:

Thanks so much @OttoWinter and I think this is a great way forward. I like how Nabu Casa have been very direct in their communication about this. Esphome is so good and it seems it will continue to be in safe hands…

4 Likes

Because at the time, it was the only way to be able to control ESPHome devices through OpenHAB. It was the only integration path possible. Yes, there were MQTT commands, but those would have to be hand-coded in a script.

There’s the cloud tts service that comes with Nabu Casa. Plus for those that don’t know about networking and such (which is actually a larger slice of our population here than I like to admit), Nabu Casa provides a super easy path to remote management.

Personally, I pay for Nabu Casa for the single reason of that I want to support the devs and promote further development of HA.

6 Likes

Great to see Nabu Casa pick up the ball on this one. I was a little concerned when it was obvious that Otto no longer had time to devote to the outstanding project he produced but was grateful to see other devs step in. Hopefully this means a bit more security/predictability/stability for them and us.

7 Likes

Acquired means they’ve purchased or been transferred ownership of esphome. It doesn’t have anything to do with a desire to profit from it.
They’ve just used the correct term to describe the transaction.

5 Likes

This is great news and it’s a testament to @OttoWinter’s amazing and dedicated work over the years.

Thanks @OttoWinter, it’s easy to take ESPHome for granted because it’s so simple to use but it’s one of the most useful components in HA in my mind. Hope you regain your work/life balance now Otto.

In your new spare time can you make another ESPHome that does the same for Zigbee dev boards? :slight_smile:

Just kidding, cheers!

5 Likes

Huge pad on the shoulder, and a big thanks to Otto. Also a true visionary move for the Nabu Casa team.
Looking forward for things to happen :wink:

2 Likes

Excellent add on. We could really use some support for the Atlas Scientific EZO sensors

I used to think the same. I came to Home Assistant from Node Red because it was the easiest way to integrate my Z-wave switches. I just recently started using ESPHome on some of my devices and beginning to soften my hold on Tasmota on everything.

1 Like

I don’t understand why you believe you’re entitled to someone else’s private information. I believe you’ve over estimated your ‘rights’. You can want it, but you have no right to it.

6 Likes

This is great news! I am hoping for ssl support if they are looking to advance things, it’s really been my only complaint with ESPHome. I get some of the older mcus couldn’t support it, but with the ESP32s and such, it’s a good direction to look towards. Not everyone who sets up HA and ESPHome can set up VLANs and such to isolate traffic.

Ah yes it would be handy for using my work computer etc. Good point.
Also I didn’t consider Google Home users.
I also don’t connect any of the dedicated apps to Alexa, it’s as simple as:

emulated_hue:
    listen_port: 80’

Alexa, discover devices. Job done!