Nabu Casa has acquired ESPHome

I would love to see an ESP-Away.
ESP devices that can remote access your HA.
That way you could add a sensor in the car or in a different house and it would still report back to your HA.

1 Like

You would have to provide the ESP with a cellular modem and SIM card for that to work.

2 Likes

Yes. Not at all impossible.
Or if it’s in a vacation home then just the wifi there

Well Done! I have been a Nabu Casa subscriber since inception. I alway thought those that always want everything free was missing the point that a great product requires compensation. I am even more pleased to support Nabu Casa every month. What a bargsain! :+1:

Ezo sensors are in esphome.

2 Likes

Nice, hopefully calibration is added in the future.

The EZO sensor component includes all settings from ‘sensor’, which includes calibration options.

1 Like

Personally, I pay for Nabu Casa for the single reason of that I want to support the devs and promote further development of HA.

Well said, this is exactly why I have a subscription to Nabu Casa , that the HA will be continuously supported and developed.

1 Like

I understand that part of esphome and currently use filters/calibration with custom sensors blah blah blah. What I’m referring to are the commands which are send to the pH stamp itself for a mid 7, low 4, and high 10 calibration. Usually run with the serial monitor on an Arduino with the pH stamp in Uart protocol.

Apparently Tasmota has a way to do this (in i2c?) but I’m too noobish to understand at the moment.

It would be nice if there were momentary button entities that came along with the EZO pH to issue those 3 probe calibration commands. I’m pretty sure the EC probe will have similar commands but I’m not there yet.

My take on the “negative” replies is they are having an issue with the terminology. “Aquiring” ESPHome, “owning” copyright (how do you even “own” copyright on a MIT/GNUPL project?).

Whilst I appreciate everything the Nabu Casa team do for Home Assistant, some of their actions and language they use from time to time gives me concerns about them trying to pivot the project in a commercial direction in the future.

1 Like

Copyright is the very foundation of software licensing.

3 Likes

One of the facts of life is that we need money to pay bills, support and feed our families.
In the case of esphome it’s also needed to buy devices, pay hosting etc.
Giving software away, and relying on people to donate voluntarily isn’t a great way to make money. This is why so many open source projects end up abandoned.
People are happy to use the code, happy to demand fixes and new additions, happy to spend 1000’s on hardware, but not so happy when it comes to donating some cash to the project.

12 Likes

Besides some ZigBee devices and one Shelly, all my devices are flashed with EspHome (around 50), so this announcement is very welcome. Many thanks to the devs to see the great potential of EspHome and of course to Otto for his amazing work.

I really hope they can now check some very useful feature requests, like the LoRa communication:

LoRa Wan

1 Like

Even private companies acquiring other private companies often don’t disclose this. It’s up to the owners to decide.

Regarding what acquired means and if that means a money transfer has been made:

The way I see it is, I hope Otto got paid. And well paid.
Why would anyone want any different?
Because you contributed to ESPHome and feel entitled some percentage or some rights to decide over ESPHome?
I don’t know about what the terms say on GitHub so this is just my thinking.
No and no.
Otto came up with the idea and did the start, I don’t know how much of the source code has been done by Otto vs others but none of it would have been contributed without Otto’s start.

1 Like

I hope this was a good exit for Otto, and he was rewarded well for his efforts. The “ESPHome” brand carries significant recognition and value, and I hope he was fairly compensated for that.

What I’d like to see Nabu Casa do is make some investments to enable ESPHome to be more easily used by users of Home Assistant, with ESPHome based “appliances.”

For example, it would be great if, like Tasmota, you could install an existing binary, or perhaps even build your own binary that could be deployed on multiple instances. Each might be named based on their MAC address by default, maybe customized via a browser interface, or an API invoked via MQTT or WS integration.

If I’ve built some ESPHome based multi-sensors or LED controllers, and have half a dozen scattered around my home… it would be great if I didn’t need a different binary for each one.

Likewise for sensors or entities, it’d be good if they didn’t need to be uniquely configured within ESPHome, but within Home Assistant and found via some discovery mechanism. I’m thinking of things like Dallas/Maxim 1-wire temperature sensors, each with their own mac addresses. Just transmit data for each one that’s found, rather than needing to configure each one individually; have Home Assistant bind that mac address to a sensor.

I do this today with BLE temperature sensors - just relay all of the BLE service announcements, each to a unique MQTT topic (in my case) and have Home Assistant receive them. This way if you have 2 or 3 ESP32 ESPHome devices doing the relay, you don’t need to worry about which one is “nearest” to any given sensor; just have any ESP32 relay whatever it hears. Likewise with 433MHz RF Bridge functions.

I think adding this capability opens up these devices to a larger audience.

Congrats, Otto, and thanks for all the wonderful work!

1 Like

As I sincerely hope that this is a good thing, I’m also a little worried both Home Assistant and esphome will eventually be commercialized further in some shape or form. For now there is only Nabu Casa with it’s cloud component (which I am thankfully subscribed to btw :wink: ) but I really hope that this will be the one and only functionality that will end up in a closed source subscription form.

We will see what happens, but commercial endeavors often kill good open source projects. I hope Home Assistant and esphome will remain the exception to the rule :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Michel

Congratulations to Nabu Casa, the Home Assistant Community, and thank you to @OttoWinter for making it all possible with ESPHome. Another reason for us to support NabuCasa! I’ll gladly continue my subscription to support the ongoing viability of these projects.

2 Likes

That’s not always true. Usually it’s I’ll thought out desperate attempts to claw in money kill good open source projects. The nabu casa cloud service seems well thought out to complement and find the home assistant project.
They’ve also stated that they have acquired esphome to ensure it stays free and open