Nabu Casa Slow (UK user)

Hi Everyone,

New HA user here and decided to set up the trial for Nabu Casa.

So far I have been impressed by my HA journey so thought why not support the developers by using Nabu Casa so set the trial up.

The remote function seems pretty un-usable for me, any time I try to access HA Away from home I get this prompt and can never seem to pass it.

I do have Wire Gaurd VPN set up on my Firewalla router so if I connect to the VPN I can load it fine but would be nice not to have to connect to the VPN every time as I don’t use my VPN all the time.

Another thing I noticed is when I integrated devices into Alexa using the Nabu Casa Home Assistant skill the response seems laggy, for instance if I ask Alexa to turn on some lights it takes longer than what I would expect, then when the lights come on if I ask Alexa to turn them off it hangs and sometimes fails to turn them off which is quite frustrating, I am using hue lights and have went back to the Alexa hue integration.

I was just wondering if there are any UK users using the Nabu Casa integration and if they are experiencing similar?

So I have managed to resolve the non connection issue when out of home, the remote URL needed to be added to the app for this to work, not sure why it was pointing to my local URL.

Just wondering about the laggy-ness of the devices via Alexa now.

I have the same issue with Nabu + Alexa (UK) It started happening a few months ago and it seems to be getting worse. Alexa will take a while and then respond that the device is not available. Most of the time the command actually works despite of it though.

Hi all,

I have the same issue. I used to use the hue integration for Alexa (without cloud) and it worked awesome.

After upgrading HA it couldn’t get this back to work so I tried the nabu casa cloud. Mainly to use the Alexa integration.
I have the same bahavior as Deek and it drives me crazy. I have very often a lag of seconds, until the lights turn on. It’s frustrating.

Any ideas from you guys?

Same here, I have like 6 sec. delay…

I’ve literally just signed up for the trial month after migrating my automation kit over from smartthings earlier in the week.

Its currently unusable - probably 1 in 10 calls to alexa works & all the rest time out.

Are there any alternative solutions for linking to alexa (im UK based too if that makes a difference) as this is something i will definitely miss.

Hi Everyone,

I got fed up with trying to control devices using Nabu Casa as it is unworkable I agree, I am working around it by using a Hubitat hub to control Alexa devices, I have an integration in Hubitat that allows devices to be shared from home assistant into my Hubitat hub, I then use Hubitat to control those devices rather than the Nabu Casa Alexa part which seems to work flawlessly, I know it might not be an ideal solution for everyone as it involves a second piece of hardware but both Hubitat and Home Assistant locally speak to each other and devices switch on and off with no delay.

I will at some point get round to logging a call with Nabu Casa as it seems its a wider problem that was not always present reading some of the other posts on this thread as it may be there is an issue that has not been reported yet but needs must for the time being I put above work around in place.

Hi all,

I’ve contacted the nabu casa support and got a quick and openly reply:
"Yes, we are aware of the issue, and there isn’t a solution on your end for this.

We are re-writing the relayer which handles the communication between your instance and Amazon/Google and this is expected to be a large improvement over the current implementation. There should be much less latency and CPU usage on the backend and should be up between now February.

After that is tested and deployed, we will then be adding region specific relayer instances which should further improve the situation.

We have simply gotten to a point where we have many more users than when the service began and the same old resources and we need to make changes.

Thanks for your patience!"

So let’s hope the situation improves shortly.
Since the subscription supports the home assistant development I will be patient and hope for an improvement shortly.

Best regards,
Philipp

2 Likes

Good news, I am happy to pay the subscription even although the Nabu Casa Alexa part has not worked the best knowing that it supports future development of the application.

Hi @flipp86,

I have done the most recent update for HA and it seems the cloud part is working again, I had to disable the Alexa skill and re-enable the Alexa skill and devices turning on and off are now as expected.