Nabu Casa. Unable to connect to Home Assistant from web, but app works and connection via local ip works

I have a Nabu Casa account and connect via the nabu casa url. The last week or two it can’t connect from the web browser. The nabu casa account page says it’s connected. If I retry fast multiple times it suddenly connects.

Connection via the companion app is no problem. Connection via local ip is no problem either.

Can’t think of any changes I have done recently except updating to 2023.11.

Any insights?

1 Like

Go to setting → Home Assistant Cloud, make sure you’re logged in to the cloud

Thanks, but no luck there. Logged out and in again - same result.
I have restarted the nuc too - no change.

And it does work intermittently. If I retry the nabu casa url fast a few times it does connect.

Seems like my laptop might be the problem, my mobile connects fine from web. I have done a hard reload and deleted site data, but no luck.

I’ve got a similar issue. It just started yesterday where I thought maybe my HA instance had crashed but my automations are working and notifications are still coming through to my phone. I can’t access HA via the Nabu Casa URL or the App

I’m away from home so can’t check locally.

All my devices are still available to control via the Google Home app (since they are linked) which tells me the HA instance is working fine, it just seems to be a Nabu Casa issue.

When I log in to Nabu Casa it says my HA is not connected.

I have the exact same issue. It started about 2 weeks ago.

From what I have gathered, it happens only at the Nabu Casa URL (http://homeassistant.local:8123/ seems to connect just fine).

The companion app works/connects just fine.
Home Assistant Cloud is connected.

Surprisingly, it works just fine if I use a different browser (Firefox or Edge work fine), but Chrome (currently version 119) has the issue where it intermittently doesn’t connect. I would rather not have to use another browser just to hit HA.

When it happens, there is a console error that mentions: “WebSocket connection to ‘wss://nabu-casa-url/api/websocket’ failed”.

Anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

I have seen some websocket errors regarding nabucasa too, but not sure when it happens. I can not provoke the error now, but still only connects intermittently.

I just got back home and was able to log in the HA using the local URL. It seemed that the Nabu Casa cloud was logged in but Remote Control not working. I logged out of the cloud and back in again and this resolved the Remote Control. I can now log in again remotely using the Nabu Casa URL.

1 Like

I had to reinstall chrome to make it work :+1:

2 Likes

Got almost the same problem, but not sure since when. The difference for my compared to olloe (TS), is that refreshing the webpage (once, or multiple times fast) doesn’t work (in Chrome v.119). Another browser does work for me too! (Edge)

I’ve exactly the same problem. With the Nabu Casa URL, I often see the error “Unable to connect to Home Assistant.”. When retrying it sometimes works, other times I need to retry several times. On the Nabu Casa page it says connected, as well as in Home Assistant.

The local URL is working without any problems.

It seems it’s a problem with Nabu Casa connecting to my instance.

Anyone having a solution?

I got the same the last few weeks. Seems like switching to external/internal url is not working in the app

I’ve been having the same problem for about a month now. I have tried reinstalling Chrome stopping and reconfiguring Nabu Casa but nothing seems to help. I also contacted Nabu Casa support but they are not really willing to help. I’m running Chrome 120.0.6099.129 (Official Build) (arm64). Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

same here, still an issue. just about to email them but wanted to try other pcs/networks ETC and this is what I have.

#1 the local link works (homeassistant:8123)
#2 EDGE (:face_vomiting:) works every time, so it seems to be a chrome/browser issue
#3 just to be safe, I tried my phone hotspot and it works fine, same with android app, chrome for android on that network and cell signal
#4 I disabled all chrome extensions, but no luck. Might reinstall next

I’ve read about some DNS, SSL and other issues, but those are usually for those that circumvent the need for nabucasa…

FYI I’ve solved my issue by completely uninstalling (removing all saved data - not checking that box didnt work and I had to try again) and reinstalling. works perfect now.

Will have to do it on all my PCs, but it seems like a solid fix for now.

1 Like

I had the same on new years eve and again yesterday… and all my devices are offline in Google Home app so there is definitely something wrong

Same here, remote hasn’t been working since around late November/early December, mobile works, webhooks work, all cloud-based services work. Everything except the web UI.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Chrome or Edge. When I clear the cache and refresh the page I do get to log in and then it’s right back to not working.

Since mobile and webhooks still work I haven’t canceled my subscription yet but if I have a few extra hours and can get an external IP going I may just drop it.

Have you tried a full browser reinstall? (removing all saved user data) I know it’s annoying but mine’s been 100% fixed ever since.

Do you have multiple devices that have trouble logging in? I’ve only ever had this one device and one browser with an issue - it’s weird that it’s both Edge and Chrome for you, but if it works on mobile, that points to the the device being the issue. I’d suggest you try:

1. a mobile hotspot or other internet source
  2. a new, fresh, browser like firefox or something else currently not installed

Do any other (non-mobile) devices have this issue on this network (or elsewhere?)

1 Like

Oddly what did work was using the remote URL outside my network. All my debugging and resetting had been done in my home network. I’m on a business trip and the remote UI works like a charm.

The timing is suspicious in that the remote URL stopped working on my local network around the time local network login was rolled out.

When I get back home I’m going to see if things have magically cleared up or if it really is the network.

suddenly last evening I lost connection remotely on 4 different devices. Lately cloud access would give me connection errors intermittently, but today, nothing works. Automations are still working at home.
any ideas? Are we having problems with the Nabu Casa?

UPDATE:

checked out the Nabu Casa troubleshooting. I was able to log in to a server at home through remote desktop.
connected to HA and then set IPV6 to disable.
works good now…