NAD T778 state unknown

Hi,

I bought a NAD T778 that replaces a Sony STR-DN1040. I was eager to see how much more connectivity options this would give me from Home Assistant, but the NAD is not recognized: state “unknown”. It is connected through ethernet, has a fixed ip-address, and I can even access it that way via the browser. Anyone has experience with the more recent NAD-players? In my configuration I used:

media_player:
  - platform: nad
    type: TCP
    host: 192.168.0.96
1 Like

Did you ever get this working? I am trying to get my T778 working as well.

I gave up on this one, but one that is working, is the BlueSound component

media_player:
  - platform: bluesound
    hosts:
      - host: 192.168.0.96
        name: "NAD T778"

I can’t do everything I want with it, but there are some things possible.

I did get the Bluesound one working, but it seems very lackluster. I guess with the right setup it might be more useful, but for me, it’s meh at best. I am going to poke some more. I’ll let you know what i find.

Well, Bluesound is not the whole story actually. I also have a Logitech Harmony, that has good HA-integration, so I can also start/stop my connected stuff. That way I can start BluOS. What I also wanted, was starting my favorite radiostation automatically, via TuneIn. I managed to do this by calling one of the rest api’s (yes, you can access some features with the rest-api offered by the machine): see blushell/README.md at master · albertony/blushell · GitHub. I use NodeRed to connect the pieces.

1 Like

That’s actually a great idea. I had some BlueSound Playlists I made and wanted to have them run when I go into bar area in outside of the theater room. I do have a Harmony and use a lot in HA. The other thing I was looking to do was to have the NAD integration work as an on/off state for my room in conjunction with motion sensors. So if everyone leaves the room, it will turn it off. But we like to chill out in there with the lights low and just play music, so I can’t monitor for “Playing” status of the input devices.

ie. relaxing on the sofa, listening to Pink Floyd. = On
ie. Lights on, no music = off

Those would be conditions added to the motion sensor on/off state.

I am going to most centraily use the blushell for alot of things! Good Stuff!

1 Like

I was able to get this integration working with my T778 with the following configuration

- platform: nad
      type: Telnet
      port: 23
      host: 192.168.1.2
      name: NAD
      min_volume: -60
      max_volume: -20
      sources:
        1: "TV"
        2: "BluRay"
        6: "bluOS
    - platform: bluesound
      hosts:
        - host: 192.168.1.2
2 Likes

It works! Although it doesn’t offer a lot of options, it is actually the way to connect the T778! Thanks for letting us know!

This worked for me, thanks!

The volume up/down buttons work but the slider throws an error, so does the source input select.

I guess the implementation is just broken, or at least it is for newer devices like the T778.

Oh the fun… It was working for me (power, volume buttons, volume sider, and source selection) then I upgrade the core 2021.8 and volume slider and source selections stopped working. I tried a old snapshot taking me back to 2021.7.4 and it still is not working. I am hoping their is an error in the NAD integration over the possibility for the t778 being buggy.

Over on AV forums a user reported that according to NAD the telnet interface on the T778 isn’t officially supported and so will not be receiving any bug fixes. And yea, there are bugs in the telnet service.

Source: NEWS: NAD T 778 flagship AVR & Owner's Thread | Page 23 | AVForums

Also more discussion about workarounds here https://www.avforums.com/threads/news-nad-t-778-flagship-avr-owners-thread.2274098/post-29537469

1 Like