NanoMote Quad button presses not firing events (Please help!)

Hi!
Since starting to migrate to Home Assistant (from SmartThings) I was a bit anxious to get my Z-Wave buttons and blinds controllers (Aeotec NanoMote Quads and Nano Shutters) working directly with HA, but the Z-Stick S2 I had in the bottom of a drawer was malfunctioning, it didn’t recognize my devices, so I had to wait. I bought a Z-Stick 7 and in the meantime I learnt to do A LOT of things with Home Assistant, Node-RED, MQTT, and found myself programming sensors in way I never dreamt of with SmartThings.
My HA is running in a VirtualBox with 2GB of RAM (usually 50%+ free), Home Assistant OS 9.4, Core 2023.1.4, (waiting for the Home Assistant Yellow to be shipped).

I finally got my hands on the Z-Stick 7. I connected it, it showed a message recommending to upgrade the firmware so I did that following the instructions (on Windows with a software from Silicon Labs), and then I started testing my NanoMote Quads. They ‘seem’ to connect nicely, the Z-Wave JS interface marks all the green checks and says it’s good to go, but after pairing the NanoMote keeps flashing a green light. With SmartThings, this green flashing happens only for half a minute during the pairing process, then the LED turns off and the device works fine, but with HA it keeps flashing green (I left it for more than 5 minutes and it doesn’t stop). So I double press any button for it to stop that pairing process.

When I wake or put the device to sleep (double press, blue LED on) it reports a wake or sleep on the device’s Logbook column. But when I press or long-press any button it doesn’t show anything at all.

I tried listening to all events (Dev tools, listen, *) or subscribing only to zwave_js_value_notification, and it doesn’t show anything (it shows all the other events for other devices but none for the NanoMote). The weird thing is that even though the wake/sleep show up on the Logbook, they don’t show as events when listening to *. Shouldn’t these events appear here too?

I tried using this blueprint with no success.

One of the first times I paired and re-paired the devices (I have three NanoMote Quads, but only tried connecting two of them) it said that the pairing was done in an insecure way, but then button presses appeared on the logbook! But as soon as I read it was insecure (or unsafe? something like that) I thought I had to re-pair them, and the the button presses were not recognized again.
If I knew how to re-pair insecurely I’m open to that too, but I don’t know what caused the insecure pair.

I must have re-paired these devices more than 10 times, I restarted HA, restarted the host, connected the Z-Stick to another USB port, unpaired the devices correctly (exclusion mode) and incorrectly (forcing the delete and hard resetting the nanomotes), re-paired to SmartThings to check if they still worked there (they do), re-installed the Z-Wave JS integration… I really want to make these devices work!
So please, if anyone has any ideas at all of what to try, I’m all ears :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Rodrigo

Ok, I sent this same post to Aeotec support, who already gave me great support four years ago when I was configuring my devices for the first time and they tell me that the NanoMote Quads only support insecure mode in Home Assistant, so I connected my devices in insecure mode with these steps and the three NanoMotes work now! Problem solved.

R.

Hi
I’m in the same situation and am very interested to see the solution but I cant access the link you have given, despite having an account. Is it possible for you to provide the solution in another way, maybe it is possible to link to a page without going via the ticket-id?
Br, Tomas

Hi @etomaka, how weird that you can’t access the site.

I cannot access my original Z-Wave JS config to take new screenshots since I migrated to Z-Wave JS UI, which is an Add-On and has a different design.

But still, I’ll copy the screenshots from the link I sent you. They are in german but stil they’re easy to follow if you recognize the buttons.

Hope this helps!
R.

Any chance someone figured out how to make this work using S2 security? Like the posters above, with S2 the button presses don’t register, but without S2 the remote works as expected. The product claims S2 support (which is why I bought it).