Need Daikin Wifi? Use the Open-Source Faikin ESP32 Hardware instead of the official wifi Modules

Is it a physical connection issue or a data compatibility issue? If that is a S21 port, and as long as you can get the right pins connected, it should communicate.

You should be able to test with some JST RE Jumper wires - it will be ugly, but as long as you get the right ones lined up, I expect the system will boot and start communicating. Assuming Daikin keeps things consistent that is.

did really favk mispelled home ASSISTANT in the gui? lol

You can always create a PR to fix it!

He has been adding a lot of great features, I can forgive typos.

iā€™m not a faikin customer, but i know he is always present and very kind, so i was surprised by that :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve connected an esp32 with level shifting to my Daikin AC S21 port and used the esphome-daikin-s21 custom component.
It works like a charm, but it was just a prototype.

Now Iā€™m waiting for a custom pcb with some improvements, like I2C standard port for addon sensors and infrared sending/receiveing option.
Onboard user led.
Standard TTL programming port to put Esphome or whatever on it.

It can be connected directly to the S21 port and it will handle power supply and bidirectional level shifting.
We can say is a Faikin on steroids.

As makers know the minimum batch for chinese pcb makers is 5; I will just need one of them, if somebody located in Italy is interested just let me know.
I can also supply some prewired connector to make life easier.

Best regards

2 Likes

Sorry I should have been more clear. Physical issue. It just doesnā€™t fit. :sweat:

Try grabbing a few female to female jumper wire test leads, those should work. In fact, it is what I used to do my first test with. They wonā€™t be the ā€œappropriateā€ connectors, but what really matters is that you have connectivity.

In your case, you are going to need one kind of connector on one side, and a different one on the other, what matters is that the right leads connect to the right points. A bundle of them looks like this:

You can break them apart into single wires, that should do the trick.

1 Like

Thanks I tried that but it seems that the pin width is not 2.5mm like these standard Dupont like jumper cable. I can squeeze two over the five needed (four actually since one is not used) but not more.

But you are right this will be my next approach as soon as I have some time. Plug directly the leads without the plastic connector just to validate the integration. Iā€™ll keep the forum informed.

Iā€™m surprised that no one has commented that have bought an s21 cable and is able to share a picture or in the best case scenario a connector reference. No way it is proprietary.

Thank you for following me and advise me in my journey though :grinning:

1 Like

Making or getting a S21 cable has been discussed here: Where to find cable information (S21) Ā· revk/ESP32-Faikin Ā· Discussion #81 Ā· GitHub

2 Likes

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005005562174022.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.16.7150369602iIra&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

This is the one that will fit in the S21 port.
Of course the 5 pins model.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I have ordered, received and tested this connector and it works well soft far with a CTXA15AW. I will test it more deeply in the next few weeks but the first trial seemed promising and in line with what faikin deliver and what Daikin cannot.

I will update the issue and GitHub repo of faikin with the connectorā€™s id and split version to disclose that this splitā€™s model works well with faikin.

Thanks faikin :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi @hargathor

Was the connector from vercellinoā€™s post please (the one from Aliexpress)?
Iā€™m struggling as well finding one for the new S21 portā€¦

Many thanks

Great write-up! I am looking for the STL (or STEP) files for the 3D printed case, but canā€™t seem to find them. Could you point me in the right direction?

They are up on a folder on Github - I think it was PCBCase - the repo has been updated a little. I had to dig through the folders to find the files.

This link is close:

1 Like

Got it, found it here: ESP32-Faikin/PCB/Faikin at main Ā· revk/ESP32-Faikin Ā· GitHub. Thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™ve gotten fed up with the ONECTA app/API going down a couple of times this year already, screwing with our automations, so Iā€™ve finally gotten round to buying a Faikin and cheap cable for our Perfera!

Just need to find some time to turn off the isolator, take it apart, and install the thing I guess. Itā€™s a shame it needs internet access for updates (providing files that can be uploaded via the GUI would be better, since no air con controllers should ever be connected to the internet IMO). I will likely update it once itā€™s first connected then move it to my VLAN with no internet access.

One thing I will miss is the ability to set temperature in 0.5 Ā°C increments though. Shame the local Dakin API never supported that (even though the handheld controllers do)!

1 Like