Need help adding Wink controller and respective devices to Home Assistant

I just installed Home Assistant on my Windows 10 box running on Python 3.7.4. However, when I start Home Assistant it doesn’t list Wink as one of the supported devices. I was told that Home Assistant has support for Wink.

Anyway, I found the below URL which was all I could find about Wink for Home Assistant. I created a Wink developer account just like it said to.
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/wink/

I also added wink: to my configuration.yaml. However, when I re-start Home Assistant, instead of allowing me to integrate my Wink controller, I get a notification saying:

Invalid config
The following integrations and platforms could not be set up:

wink
Please check your config.

I must be missing something fundamental. I would really appreciate if someone could guide me to getting started with Wink. So far, it’s a lousy experience.

All you did was add wink: to your config?

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Yes, I added it to the last line of my configuration.yaml file.

That’s what’s actually causing the notification error I mentioned in my previous post. I edited the file using vscode. What am I doing wrong or missing?

Below is what my configuration.yaml looks like exactly:

# Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)
default_config:

# Uncomment this if you are using SSL/TLS, running in Docker container, etc.
# http:
#   base_url: example.duckdns.org:8123

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate

group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml

wink:

I tried reinstalling cleanly. Same exact thing. I dont even get an error that can help me resolve the issue, just the abigous error saying Wink could not be set up and to check my config. I thought all I had to do was add a wink: line to my config… Apparently there’s more to it. Not sure what else to do.
BTW: Why isn’t Wink listed in the list of devices that can be integrated? I saw everything but that.

So not sure why you are seeing an error when you just add wink: that seems strange.

Can you verify if you have a .wink.conf file in your configuration directory? If you do stop Home Assistant and then delete that file and restart Home Assistant again, see if the issue persists. Once you do that, there will be a persistent notification that you will need to use to setup Wink so you will have to add it to your Lovelace config.

The reason it isn’t listed in the integration pages is because no one has done the work to add it there. I didn’t do the work mostly because I don’t use Wink anymore and I honestly wasn’t sure how long Wink was going to be around.

There isn’t a .wink.conf file. I dont think it ever gets that far for HA to create that file. HA just shows the attached persistent notification below.

BTW: HA is able to automaticaly add my Phillips Hue controller and lights without any issues. I barely had to do anything to connect it to HA.

Any other suggestions to get Wink added to a new instal of HA? If not…

Which smart home controller would you suggest as a comparable replacement to Wink? I have a “Sylvania Motion Sensor/Temperature sensor”, a “Sengled” smart light bulb, and Phillips Hue devices. I would like something that’s very easy to setup, has an Ethernet jack, works with most smart devices, and relatively fast when controlling smart devices. I will get which ever one you recommend as a Wink replacement.

Anyway, thank you for all your help! Hopefully, Ill get this working even if I have to buy another controller that’s more compatible with HA.

So I just downloaded the newest version of Home Assistant on a system I have never run Home Assistant on before. After the first start up I shut HA down, edited my configuration.yaml and added wink: to the bottom. Restarted HA and I got the following in my side panel notifications

So if you aren’t running 0.107.0 which I think is the newest maybe try updating to that first?

If that isn’t working still we need to see what the actual error message is. It might be listed in the developer tools/logs area (http://127.0.0.1:8123/developer-tools/logs) or you can manually look at the homeassistant.log file.

Now having said all of that, I moved from Wink to use native HA using one of these https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-CECOMINOD016164-HUSBZB-1-USB-Hub/dp/B01GJ826F8

Has ZigBee and Zwave and things are super super quick compared to Wink.

I’m not have much luck with HA. I just uninstalled HA and deleted the config directory. However, during the re-install it outputs red-colored text below. HA wont even start up now. I even upgraded Python to the latest version for Windows and installed “Build Tools for Visual Studio”. I dont think this issue is related to Wink… but more related to HA.

Can you please tell me how to install a good installation of HA on Windows 10 using Python? Below are all the errors during the install process. I realy need to at least get a good install do HA. Surely, it can’t be that complicated. :-/

py -m pip install homeassistant

Building wheels for collected packages: ciso8601
  Building wheel for ciso8601 (setup.py) ... error
  ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
   command: 'C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\python.exe' -u -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\Michael\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-hnx0509n\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\Michael\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-hnx0509n\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' bdist_wheel -d 'C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-wheel-jiha552j'
       cwd: C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-hnx0509n\ciso8601\
  Complete output (12 lines):
  running bdist_wheel
  running build
  running build_py
  package init file 'ciso8601\__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)
  creating build
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-3.7
  creating build\lib.win-amd64-3.7\ciso8601
  copying ciso8601\__init__.pyi -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.7\ciso8601
  copying ciso8601\py.typed -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.7\ciso8601
  running build_ext
  building 'ciso8601' extension
  error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 is required. Get it with "Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools": https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/
  ----------------------------------------
  ERROR: Failed building wheel for ciso8601
  Running setup.py clean for ciso8601
Failed to build ciso8601
Installing collected packages: ciso8601, zipp, importlib-metadata, MarkupSafe, jinja2, text-unidecode, python-slugify, homeassistant
    Running setup.py install for ciso8601 ... error
    ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
     command: 'C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\python.exe' -u -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\Michael\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-hnx0509n\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\Michael\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-hnx0509n\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' install --record 'C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-record-r7nx6rv6\install-record.txt' --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers 'C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\Include\ciso8601'
         cwd: C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-hnx0509n\ciso8601\
    Complete output (12 lines):
    running install
    running build
    running build_py
    package init file 'ciso8601\__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)
    creating build
    creating build\lib.win-amd64-3.7
    creating build\lib.win-amd64-3.7\ciso8601
    copying ciso8601\__init__.pyi -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.7\ciso8601
    copying ciso8601\py.typed -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.7\ciso8601
    running build_ext
    building 'ciso8601' extension
    error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 is required. Get it with "Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools": https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/
    ----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: 'C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\python.exe' -u -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\Michael\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-hnx0509n\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\Michael\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-hnx0509n\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' install --record 'C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-record-r7nx6rv6\install-record.txt' --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers 'C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\Include\ciso8601' Check the logs for full command output.

If I try to start HA, it gives an error:

py -m homeassistant --open-ui

C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\python.exe: No module named homeassistant

type or paste code here

Sorry, can’t help you here. The last time I used Windows was probably 4 years ago. Never tried running HA on it. I would spin up another post asking specifically about your Windows install issue.

Thanks anyway. Ill create a new post… Worst comes to worst, I’ll just switch to another Home Automation software like Hubitat or Homeseer.