Need help configuring wifi outlet

Brand new to this. I have Home Assistant running, but have not added any integrations yet.

I bought this “Outdoor Smart Plug Waterproof WiFi 4-Outlet Extender with Alexa POWRUI”. I searched the docs, but didn’t find anything.

I bought it thinking it was the same as the Truya “Smart Life” devices, but apparently it’s not. After trying to use the Truya configuration, Home Assistant would not start – it complained something about a “secret” not defined.

Can someone point me in the right direction, or tell me this is a lost cause?

Thanks.

1 Like

Does it work with the tuya app (not smart life)?

If so it should work with the tuya integration.

How did you try and integrate it with home assistant?

I didn’t try the Tuya app, since its instructions didn’t show any connection with Tuya.

I went through the devices in the integrations menu, but couldn’t find anything similar.

I added the Tuya code that I found here (using the credentials used in app that I had installed).

Jack

With all Tuya compatible devices, you have to add the device to Tuya first, so you would have to use the app to associate with your account. Adding the “Tuya” integration doesn’t really do anything without having devices tied to it.

Hello Jack, So how do I read that you have the “Smart Life” app in use? If so, you have to replace “tuya” with “smart_life” in the configuration.yaml. Look here:

The correct formatting in the configuration is also very important !!! After saving the configuration.yaml go to “Configuration” -> “Server Control” click here on “Check Config”, if everything is ok restart HA with “Restart” …

I see the problem. I found the documentation on “secrets”. I was using the “!secret tuya_user” to mean that I should replace “tuya user” (and “tuya password”) with my own. Instead, the “!secret” tells HA to look in the “secrets.yaml” file, which I had not created. Thus, the error about not having configured secrets. I’ll follow the instructions for Storing Secrets, and will change “tuya” to “home_life” and report results here…

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jack

Correction. I removed “!secret” (for testing). I no longer get the error about missing secrets.
Here’s the actual code used in configuration.yaml (with credentials removed):

# For the Smart Life AW39
home_life:
  username: [my username]
  password: [my password]
  country_code: 1
  platform: smart_life

But my home-assistant.log file has the following error now:
2019-11-28 11:08:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.homeassistant] Component error: home_life - Integration 'home_life' not found.
I suspect there may be an API required.

Jack

How is Tuya involved here? I do not have a Tuya account at all. This is not a Tuya-controlled device?

But I’ll try “smart-life” (with the hyphen rather than the underscore).

Thanks.
Jack

Still getting this error in the logs:

2019-11-28 12:24:57 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.homeassistant] Component error: smart-life - Integration 'smart-life' not found.

Again, I don’t understand how this could have anything to do with Tuya.

Thanks.
Jack

Tuya is the manufacturer of the hardware, which is then sold under different names such as: KOOGEEK, ZOOZEE, POWRUI …

Your device is most likely controllable via the Tuya app

There is no “smart_life” integration!

You need tuya: at the root of that config, and you add an option to state it’s a smart_life account. Follow the directions.
Under tuya: you add platform: smart_life

I am sorry, my mistake!!!

I can indeed connect and control the device with my phone, using the Tuya app. So it uses the Tuya platform. So that’s progress.

I edited configuration.yaml as below:

tuya:
  username: <username>
  password: <password>
  country_code: 1
  platform: tuya

I cleared the home-assistant.log file and restarted HA. This time, it had no errors related to tuya or for this device. But I still don’t see anything new in “Integrations” or “Devices”. What should I be looking for?

Thanks.
Jack

Look in developer tools and states.

I found it. Now it’s on the main panel, or whatever that’s called. Once again, we have progress!

Next step is to figure out how to firewall it from the internet. I used Comcast’s Xfinity tools to “pause” the device, but it became unreachable even from inside the LAN. Before pausing it, it returned pings. After pausing it, it did not. Not happy with Comcast for dumbing-down their modem/router. Long term, the plan is to replace it with something more customizable (probably a Ubiquiti product).

Thanks for the help, everyone.

You can only communicate with Tuya via their cloud. If you block the device, it will be unavailable in home assistant.

If you want local control, you’re looking at flashing the firmware.

PS it looks like this device has been reflashed before https://blakadder.github.io/templates/powruia39.html

You should therefore be able to use tasmota, and probably esphome.

I’ll take a look at the possibility of flashing it, Or, I guess I could also create a separate “guest network” for IoT devices.

Jack

Whatever, use the cloud. Your loss.

My loss? I don’t understand.

Jack