Need help fixing issue with Assistant Relay for Hassio automation

Hello, I am new to HA, and trying to learn to automate few things in my home. I have setup my nest and other wifi products via Google assistant and everything is working fine. I like all the beautiful home dashboards people have built using HA and Lovelace, and want to build my own dashboard.
I am planning to order Starling hardware to bring all the nest products to HA via homekit integration.
Before I spent the money the HW, I wanted to get a hang of HA and the integrations, and I am learning a lot.

To use my feit plugs via HA, I thought I will use the HA to Google assistant integration and use automations. I followed the instructions from this web site, and did the following

1. Installed Assistant relay as add-on store. Used the instructions from Apipa169 and also from the awesome youtube video Grayson.
  2. Did all the setup within google developer console and setup assistant relay.
  3. Used assistant relay’s sandbox to test the interaction between assistant relay and Google assistant. Everything looks good.
    My Google assistant was able to turns on/off my porch lights via assistant relay.
  4. Now I moved to HA to setup automation. In the configurations.yaml, I typed the following

rest_command:
assistant_relay:
url: ‘http://homeassistant.local:3000/assistant
method: ‘post’
content_type: ‘application/json’
payload: ‘{“user”:“xxxxx”, “command”:"{{ message }}"}’

1. Restarted HA.

2. Went to configuration - Automation and created a new automation. Here is the data from automations.yaml file

• id: ‘1628975435700’
    alias: Relay Test
    description: ‘’
    trigger:
  • platform: time
    at: ‘14:15:00’
    condition: []
    action:
  • service: rest_command.assistant_relay
    data:
    message: Turn on porch lights # Please note that I tried both with and without double quotes
    mode: single
  1. When I tried, ‘Run actions’ for this automation, nothing happens, and I see the following error message in the HA log.

Logger: homeassistant.components.rest_command
Source: components/rest_command/init.py:147
Integration: rest_command (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 5:18:29 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 5:18:29 PM

Client error http://homeassistant.local:3000/assistant

I do not see any errors in assistant relay log files. This makes me think that HA is unable to even call the assistant relay.

I am completely lost. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Can I bump this? I’m having the same issue. Have you had any luck with this, @gkarkala ?

My working setup for setting temperature of a nest thermostat:

rest_command:
  set_thermostat:
    url: http://<local_ip>:3000/assistant
    method: POST
    content_type: 'application/json'
    payload: '{"command":"{{ command }}", "user": "<configured_user>", "broadcast":false}'

I can use it in my automations like:

service: rest_command.set_thermostat
data:
  command: zet thermostaat op {{ states('input_number.temperatuur')|int }}

This is the dutch command, you need to change it to your used language