Need help - many issues, probably related to each other

Hi everyone,

I am reaching out to this kind community today as I am absolutely lost and start losing my mind.

Quick background : I have been using HA for the past 2 years on an old laptop. I only use very basic features (some zigbee hardware but mostly lights). Yesterday, I purchased a pre-owned HP thinclient 620 and installed HAOS. I wanted to do a fresh install and therefore didn’t copy my older HA instance.

Now comes the nightmare. I have a list of issues that might be related to each other, but I am not sure:

• HACS → When installing HACS from the terminal, I get the following error written in the terminal : “wget : unable to resolve host address ‘get.hacs.xyz’.
    This is following the HACS official installation guide and using the code "
    wget -O - https://get.hacs.xyz | bash -”. Same result with “wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hacs/get/main/get | bash -”.

This is with the addon terminal “SSH & Web terminal”. With “Terminal & SSH”, the error is “wget: bad address”.

How I tried to resolve:

• Rebooted several times HAOS
  • Turned on/off IPV6 within HA
  • Changed the DNS within HA to 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.8.4
  • Cleared browser cache
  • rebooted internet box

Note that I am basically copying the setup of my previous HA, which works perfectly, so am very surprised this is going this bad… My last resort would be to re-install HAOS and try again from scratch, but I am not sure it will help at all.

I am under the impression that all these issues are from the same source (I might be totally wrong tho), so any one resolving any issue might help resolve in fact all issue.

Thanks you all in advance for your help and thanks for having read my post!

Does this device actually have an IP4 address, is on the network, and can reach the internet?

Tried disabling IP6?

It definitely sounds like a DNS issue, possibly a wider networking issue.

Its on network indeed, but it downloaded addons and integration, so I guess it reach internet as well.

I tried disabling yes, did nothing …

Really sounds very, very much like a network issue.

• Check, if the IP address is accidentally issued twice
  • Download Ubuntu (or any preferred distribution) and setup a “live-usb-drive” to boot into, so you can check all different network things from a system where you actually can install and debug things. You can format this usb-drive to persist some data between boots, so you really have a mobile system, that won’t do any harm to your actual installed system.
  • Look for basic things on the thinclient, eg. are the connectors really plugged in.
  • Go the way of the data physically: is the router ok, do the ethernet lines really have good connection, or is there accidentally a big magnet crushing the cable. You get where I’m going with this? :laughing:

As you see from the answers or questions above, this is something not obvious. So bare with me, if I suggest things, that seem obvious. But trust me, I have seen a lot over the years, ranging from “I’m clicking F1 for over half an hour, and nobody is coming to help!” to CEOs complaining there PC doesn’t work, only to come and see that the monitor isn’t plugged in…

One thing is for sure, there is nothing obvious sticking out, so go look for the “normal” things. :slight_smile:

Good luck and keep us posted! :wink:

Thanks a lot for your response.

Just checked, it has its own unique IP

I got one ready - what would you suggest me to do ?

HA seems connected to internet as I can dowloads addons, integrations, etc… So yes, everything is plugged in

Router is OK, I tried 2 ethernet cables, etc… But HA seems connected to the internet, so I am still in the dark…

No dont worry, your suggestions were good but unfortunately there is nothing obvious with my issues…

1 Like

Just booted on the USB stick - internet is fine on ubuntu, was able to do some google search with no issue.

I am still totally lost lol

Is this pointing to your NEW installation(IP) ?, And have you turned off the old Installation ?, and “Preferable” giving you NEW installation same IP ( as the old !!! ) and not using same ssl-cert ?

You will most likely get such “error” if you send a http request to an https site

And as i sounds you just got your new “pre-owned HP thinclient 620” so i hardly believe you have cleared your mDNS either.

And yes, you should have installed a fresh( with the old turned of ) and then only copied your Dashboards/yaml configurations etc

Hello Boheme, thanks for your reply.

That could be an option, but I just recreated a new DuckDns ID and tried to pintpoint that to the new IP indeed. How can I change the ssl certificate ? Sorry I am new to this level of technicality.

OK - and how should I clear the mDNS ? Will check on google but if you have the solution, I take it gladly :slight_smile:

The old is turned off now, but was on when I installed the HAOS on the thinclient - would this be an issue ?

Cheers

Yes , as you most likely have the same name for your installation, 2 names with 2 different IP’s and 2 different MAC-addresses
mDSN clearing is different on Linux and Windows clear all your devices.

I have never heard of such “Device” , but if you mean your Router, and with the mess you already have caused, reset it to default , And “Recreate” a new DuckDns-connection to your new installation/hardware, and get a new SSL cert

Sorry - internet box is “router” indeed.

And, could you please let me know how I caused the mess?

Gonna reset the router and reperforming a fresh install of HAOS to see whether this solve any issue

Sorry, but what does this mean ? is there a way to clear within HAOS ? Otherwise, I can use a bootable ubuntu live USB. Then, what should I do ?

Thanks again for your help !!!

when you install a device with the same name “homeassistant” and you already have a device on you network with the same name “someone/something” get confused/messed up !, same name 2 diff IP’s 2 diff Mac-addresses

Make sure your “old” ha-device is not in your Router (in either dhcp-scope or port-forwarding etc) , also make sure ssl is enabled in HA

And Your DuckDns is obviously also “confused” (well it works fine on your old installation) but this is nothing you just can copy/paste, as you need the ssl-cert, and also ssl-enabled on your new installation.

Keep your old installation turned of ( You can’t have 2 devices with the name of homeassistant.local on your network) install HA on your new, install DuckDns(same way as you previous did on the old installation, “create new DuckDns connection”)

Sorry, as it sounds like you have limited understanding of how your network device talks to eachother and how various services works, it’s better to do things in a structured way

IF you are using a Windows or MAC-OS, follow the instructions on howto flush your cache there

Thanks again for your help Boheme

Gotcha ! thanks

Done - I installed a fresh HA install, with the “older” HA-device off and out of router (DHCP and port forwarding), but the issue remains.

well - didnt try yet DuckDns as the other issue persist so I have no hope that Duck works
Will retry and let you know how it goes

Done - older install is off and ethernet cable disconnected

No don’t worry, I appreciate your suggestions !

But this will clear the DNS cache on the device I use to flush, right ? This won’t flush on the HA-device

Ok - just realized there is a DNS log in the HA log.

I get this error :
"
[14:25:32] WARNING: Halt DNS plug-in with exit code 2
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: stopping
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: stopping
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully stopped
"

I tried everything - rebooted router, forced default parameters of router, changed DNS within HA to 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.4, rebooted HA; but nothing help.

Its driving me mad !

To add to the above, I have been checking all logs and that’s what I have that may be helpful to whoever might help me:

Supervisor log:
23-08-20 16:20:56 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Starting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:20:57 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.docker.dns] Starting DNS ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-dns with version 2023.06.2 - 172.30.32.3
23-08-20 16:21:02 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.base] Watchdog found dns plugin failed, restarting…
23-08-20 16:21:02 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [supervisor.docker.manager] Cleaning hassio_dns application
23-08-20 16:21:02 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Starting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:21:03 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.docker.dns] Starting DNS ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-dns with version 2023.06.2 - 172.30.32.3
23-08-20 16:21:07 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Task exception was never retrieved
future: <Task finished name=‘Task-825’ coro=<PluginDns.watchdog_container() done, defined at /usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/plugins/dns.py:264> exception=CoreDNSJobError(‘Rate limit exceeded, more then 10 calls in 0:30:00’)>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/plugins/dns.py”, line 269, in watchdog_container
return await super().watchdog_container(event)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/plugins/base.py”, line 113, in watchdog_container
await self._restart_after_problem(event.state)
File “/usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/jobs/decorator.py”, line 144, in wrapper
raise on_condition(
supervisor.exceptions.CoreDNSJobError: Rate limit exceeded, more then 10 calls in 0:30:00
23-08-20 16:23:09 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /network/info access from core_ssh
23-08-20 16:23:09 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /network/info access from core_ssh
23-08-20 16:23:09 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /host/info access from core_ssh
23-08-20 16:23:09 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /core/info access from core_ssh
23-08-20 16:23:11 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /dns/update access from core_ssh
23-08-20 16:24:02 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /dns/options access from core_ssh
23-08-20 16:24:02 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Restarting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:24:03 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [supervisor.docker.manager] Restarting hassio_dns
23-08-20 16:24:08 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Task exception was never retrieved
future: <Task finished name=‘Task-988’ coro=<PluginDns.watchdog_container() done, defined at /usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/plugins/dns.py:264> exception=CoreDNSJobError(‘Rate limit exceeded, more then 10 calls in 0:30:00’)>
File “/usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/plugins/dns.py”, line 269, in watchdog_container
File “/usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/plugins/base.py”, line 113, in watchdog_container
raise on_condition(
supervisor.exceptions.CoreDNSJobError: Rate limit exceeded, more then 10 calls in 0:30:00
23-08-20 16:24:08 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /dns/restart access from core_ssh
23-08-20 16:24:08 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Restarting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:24:08 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [supervisor.docker.manager] Restarting hassio_dns
23-08-20 16:24:14 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Task exception was never retrieved
future: <Task finished name=‘Task-1035’ coro=<PluginDns.watchdog_container() done, defined at /usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/plugins/dns.py:264> exception=CoreDNSJobError(‘Rate limit exceeded, more then 10 calls in 0:30:00’)>
raise on_condition(
23-08-20 16:24:22 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.ingress] Update Ingress as panel for core_ssh
23-08-20 16:25:17 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.host.network] Updating local network information
23-08-20 16:25:30 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /dns/restart access from core_ssh
23-08-20 16:25:30 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Restarting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:25:30 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.manager] Restarting hassio_dns
23-08-20 16:25:36 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Task exception was never retrieved
future: <Task finished name=‘Task-1332’ coro=<PluginDns.watchdog_container() done, defined at /usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/plugins/dns.py:264> exception=CoreDNSJobError(‘Rate limit exceeded, more then 10 calls in 0:30:00’)>
raise on_condition(
23-08-20 16:50:51 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.api] Updated Home Assistant API token
23-08-20 16:53:04 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.middleware.security] /dns/restart access from core_ssh
23-08-20 16:53:05 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Restarting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:53:05 INFO (SyncWorker_2) [supervisor.docker.manager] Restarting hassio_dns
23-08-20 16:53:10 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.base] Watchdog found dns plugin failed, restarting…
23-08-20 16:53:10 INFO (SyncWorker_4) [supervisor.docker.manager] Cleaning hassio_dns application
23-08-20 16:53:10 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Starting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:53:11 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.docker.dns] Starting DNS ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-dns with version 2023.06.2 - 172.30.32.3
23-08-20 16:53:16 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.base] Watchdog found dns plugin failed, restarting…
23-08-20 16:53:16 INFO (SyncWorker_4) [supervisor.docker.manager] Cleaning hassio_dns application
23-08-20 16:53:16 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Starting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:53:16 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.docker.dns] Starting DNS ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-dns with version 2023.06.2 - 172.30.32.3
23-08-20 16:53:21 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.base] Watchdog found dns plugin failed, restarting…
23-08-20 16:53:21 INFO (SyncWorker_2) [supervisor.docker.manager] Cleaning hassio_dns application
23-08-20 16:53:21 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Starting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:53:22 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.docker.dns] Starting DNS ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-dns with version 2023.06.2 - 172.30.32.3
23-08-20 16:53:27 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.base] Watchdog found dns plugin failed, restarting…
23-08-20 16:53:27 INFO (SyncWorker_4) [supervisor.docker.manager] Cleaning hassio_dns application
23-08-20 16:53:27 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Starting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:53:28 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.docker.dns] Starting DNS ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-dns with version 2023.06.2 - 172.30.32.3
23-08-20 16:53:32 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.base] Watchdog found dns plugin failed, restarting…
23-08-20 16:53:32 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [supervisor.docker.manager] Cleaning hassio_dns application
23-08-20 16:53:32 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Starting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:53:33 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.docker.dns] Starting DNS ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-dns with version 2023.06.2 - 172.30.32.3
23-08-20 16:53:38 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.base] Watchdog found dns plugin failed, restarting…
23-08-20 16:53:38 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.manager] Cleaning hassio_dns application
23-08-20 16:53:38 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.dns] Starting CoreDNS plugin
23-08-20 16:53:39 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.docker.dns] Starting DNS ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-dns with version 2023.06.2 - 172.30.32.3
"

I hope this may help figuring out what’s the issue. In the meantime, I spent hours googling every single sentence in the log, but nothing tried seems to help my case!

Help please :slight_smile:

Not necessary yet.

tl;dr.
I didn’t see this in my scan of the thread, but is the working HAOS box still online? If so, then you may have two devices with the hostname “homeassistant” on the same network. Strange things will happen in that case.

Unplug the old Home Assistant box. Then from a PC, “ping homeassistant.local”. Do you get the expected IP?

I really don’t understand why people(some) recommend this, maybe because i want the less amount of “interference” From Google, as possible, they “track” one enough and feed you with the same bullock, which they “assume” you want to see, unfortunately it demands constant “verification” to secure Google haven’t “wiped” ones account settings, beside i can’t even remember when i had “resolve” issues latest, i expect my Internet provider takes care of this, On the Wan side, And internally i use IP, not hostnames, and as HA is “Local” so I don’t need ssl, and definitely not an external DNS-Service

Also i have absolutely 0 experience from Watchdog, guess i never needed this, and disable such if it comes with some hardware/software/os, no need for other software to check the other softwares, beside in HA’s case the builtin system-check functionality

EDIT: in HA Console try to type " net inf ", just to verify that you actually have “default” settings

We should be way past this point, but yes initially he had, when he started installing ha( on the new device), and his weekend got ruined :slight_smile: