Need Help with Arizona SRP Time of Use

So I have tried to wrap my head around the methods that can be used to manage my Hoem Energy consumption but I am at a standstill. My electric provider is SRP in Arizona and I am on the Time of Use plan. The Peak and Of Peak times and rates change based on both the Month and the hour. In months May to October Peak is 2pm-8pm during weekdays and the rest is off peak. During months November to April the rates change, the Peak is 5:00 am to 9:00 am and again 5:00pm to 9:00 pm weekdays and the rest is off peak. In months July and August the peak is 2:00pm until 8:00Pm and again the rates are higher for peak and off peak. I have tried using the Utility Meter integration which creates a select and the Utility meter helpers and I have also tried creating this using he configuration.yaml. I know I need to create automations that switch out the peak and off peak but I am not sure do I need 6 utility meter sensors based on the 6 different rates and then 6 automations to switch them in and out based on time and month and then I need to bring in all 6 sensors to the Energy dashboard as consumption sources? Then I would need to somehow set the rates correctly for each in the dashboard? It just seems a bit of a mess and so I am holding up. For now all I have is my Emporia Vue 2 Day Sensor for total use going into the dashboard and I am fine tuning the multiplier to get the usage to match what is showing in the SRP website. Any help is appreciated.

I solved my time of use problem with SRP Time of Use programs in this post - Energy Sensor Price - to handle changing energy tariff rates - #15 by Trebacz I use an Emporia VUE and the sensors I created. It gives me real time cost during the day - and the energy dashboard looks awesome. Hope it helps.

Hello,

I’m on an SRP solar plan (E-27), which is similar to TOU (with lower energy pricing) but which adds a demand charge set by the maximum power demand (kW) during any 30-min peak-rate period for the billing month. There is an alternative plan which uses average peak-period demand, but those rates are generally higher.

The strategy for controlling costs are similar to standard TOU, but application is more “severe.”

I have thought about how to construct a cost-sensor for demand. Since the power demand is averaged during each 30-min window, the demand is functionally equivalent to Energy/time = Energy (kWh)/0.5h = 4*Energy (kW) (Energy measured each 30-min window). But in HA I do not know how to integrate over an arbitrary time window (the default for Riemann seems to be 1 hour).

If somehow I managed to create such a sensor I’d need to look at the largest value for the billing month (using a look-up table for price).

So I’m checking on the my SRP dashboard online frequently to make sure I keep my power demand low. If anyone here has a better idea I’d be eager to know! :grinning:

That is more “severe”… Not sure I can help, but it’s certainly possible…

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to inquire with you all if you have had any issues with the Emporia Vue operating through the hot summers? I’m concerned I’d buy and install it only for it to fry itself.

Hi Matthew,

I use a Sense monitor, which is in my breaker panel enclosure on a west-facing wall in Phoenix. No issues with heat.

Maybe you could reach out to Emporia for operating ambient specs.

Good luck!

No issues here. Main Panel is on the West side of the house and gets direct Az. sunlight. Emporia Vue 2 is inside.