Need help with frigate docker install for HA Yellow Please,

is there anybody normal in this Community that can talk without every sentence having to be in yml?
i seem to upset some idiots on here by asking questions they find so frustratingly easy they can only insult me without giving any real advice? IUs this what this place is about?
I am a a fully qualified electrician, and if I can get my head around some of the stuff I would promote and install HA everywhere I could. This would be good for the Community aswel as myself so a little guidance would benefit everyone in the long run. I don’t expect much help on here so may have a HA Yellow with nvme SSD and a cm4 with 8gb ram and 16gb storage

Happy to help with frigate question, but it’s not really clear what the question is

1 Like

thank you for reply, I had bitten the last person as they said they was frustrated with my questions even tho I had been trying for at least 3 weeks to get this working lol.
I had the frigate add-on working perfectly in HA supervised but had upgraded to the HA Yellow, now I face the problem of burning out the cpu with my old config, so I need to get this running in docker, I just can’t work it out.

I had this part running with docker compose setup,
version: “3.9”
services:
frigate:
container_name: frigate
privileged: true # this may not be necessary for all setups
restart: unless-stopped
image: blakeblackshear/frigate:stable
shm_size: “64mb” # update for your cameras based on calculation above
devices:
- /dev/bus/usb:/dev/bus/usb # passes the USB Coral, needs to be modified for other versions
- /dev/apex_0:/dev/apex_0 # passes a PCIe Coral, follow driver instructions here Get started with the M.2 or Mini PCIe Accelerator | Coral
- /dev/dri/renderD128 # for intel hwaccel, needs to be updated for your hardware
volumes:
- /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
- /path/to/your/config.yml:/config/config.yml:ro
- /path/to/your/storage:/media/frigate
- type: tmpfs # Optional: 1GB of memory, reduces SSD/SD Card wear
target: /tmp/cache
tmpfs:
size: 1000000000
ports:
- “5000:5000”
- “1935:1935” # RTMP feeds
environment:
FRIGATE_RTSP_PASSWORD: “password”

This part ( - /path/to/your/config.yml:/config/config.yml:ro
- /path/to/your/storage:/media/frigate) is unclear to me as I don’t seem to have the computer skills

I guess that it maybe /home/pi/config.yml:/config/config.yml:ro
and /home/pi/storage:/media/frigate

is this correct? and is there any other preparations that need to be made? do I need to make these files or directory’s as in mkdir and cd into it etc ?
also when asking about environment:
FRIGATE_RTSP_PASSWORD: “password” I got told it was the camera password last time I asked so again got a little upset, is this the password for what would be the the local web page if I managed to get it working?
on every attempt I have made I get config error’s like below, I must be fairly close but. there seems to be a big bridge of information that I am getting wrong

also is this part needed?
When running Home Assistant with the Supervised install method, you can get the benefit of running the Addon along with the ability to customize the storage used by Frigate.

In order to customize the storage location for Frigate, simply use fstab to mount the drive you want at /usr/share/hassio/media. Here is an example fstab entry:

UUID=1a65fec6-c25f-404a-b3d2-1f2fcf6095c8 /media/data ext4 defaults 0 0

/media/data/homeassistant/media /usr/share/hassio/media none bind 0 0

Copy

difficult to say for sure without your file system, but yes that seems reasonable

this is just an example of a way you can keep your passwords hidden, by default it does nothing and there’s no reason to worry about it

that means the path /home/pi/config.yaml is incorrect

do I need to bind files somehow? how do I find the correct path for my pi4, I hadn’t done much too it just keep wiping it and starting it again? is there not a path that’s universal? do I need to create it somehow? I am willing to pay to learn how to do this

I am currently a electrician doing testing and inspection for my local council and really want to get a better job, and would hope if I can work this out I may be able to offer these services to everyone. I think smart homes will be the future and would like to do something with this opportunity if possible

if its too much to explain, would it be possible to point me to where I can learn these skills please

sudo usermod -aG docker ${USER}
I had set the aG docker as just pi would that mean if I take the /home out of the path it might work?

the path can be whatever you want it to be, you just need to create the file per the frigate docs at some location, and then when starting docker config it to point at that location

so if I say
mkdir /home/pi/config.yaml
cd mkdir /home/pi/config.yaml
mkdir /home/pi/storage:/media/frigate
cd /home/pi/storage:/media/frigate
nano docker-compose.yml
then do
mqtt:
host: mqtt.server.com
cameras:
back:
ffmpeg:
inputs:
- path: rtsp://viewer:{FRIGATE_RTSP_PASSWORD}@10.0.10.10:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2
roles:
- detect
- rtmp
detect:
width: 1280
height: 720

with correct edits
will that work am I anywhere near making it work
and of course

version: “3.9”
services:
frigate:
container_name: frigate
privileged: true # this may not be necessary for all setups
restart: unless-stopped
image: blakeblackshear/frigate:stable
shm_size: “64mb” # update for your cameras based on calculation above
devices:
- /dev/bus/usb:/dev/bus/usb # passes the USB Coral, needs to be modified for other versions
- /dev/apex_0:/dev/apex_0 # passes a PCIe Coral, follow driver instructions here Get started with the M.2 or Mini PCIe Accelerator | Coral
- /dev/dri/renderD128 # for intel hwaccel, needs to be updated for your hardware
volumes:
- /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
- /path/to/your/config.yml:/config/config.yml:ro
- /path/to/your/storage:/media/frigate
- type: tmpfs # Optional: 1GB of memory, reduces SSD/SD Card wear
target: /tmp/cache
tmpfs:
size: 1000000000
ports:
- “5000:5000”
- “1935:1935” # RTMP feeds
environment:
FRIGATE_RTSP_PASSWORD: “password”

docker-compose up -d

with correct edits don’t worry about the LAST FRIGATE_RTSP_PASSWORD: “password”

please say that’s close or shall I give up?

why does this feel like a guessing game, had read frigate instructions many times I have watched videos but this feels very much like secret squirrels lol

i worked it out nobody is close to giving instructions tho I had to work out how to use docker and just watched very closely where the folders and files went in the youtube videos

frigate instructions were never meant to be “how to use docker”. They are how to setup frigate, having a basic understanding of docker is a prerequisite if you want to run it in docker (you could just use the HA OS addon for those that don’t know docker and don’t care to)

Learned lots of new commands for linux like locate for finding the file and different methods of creating files, I have got rid of some errors and now have new errors