Need help with groups.yaml

I have this in my groups yaml but when I am in node-red, the don’t seem to be usable in node-red. What am I doing wrong?

phones:
    name: Phones
    control: hidden
    entities:
        - input_boolean.me_present
        - input_boolean.wife_present

we_are_home:
    view: true
    name: Wearehome
    control: hidden
    entities:
        - group.Phones

Are those two groups visible in Home Assistant’s States page?

FWIW, the lines appear to be indented by 4 spaces. You should use 2 spaces. See example here. (EDIT: Indenting by one or more spaces is valid. Most of Home Assistant’s examples use two spaces.)

In addition, the control option is deprecated. Unless you are still uses the old States UI, the control option is ignored by the Lovelace UI.

Yes, they are in the Home Assistant STATES. The control feature is still working. I am running HASS.IO 0.94.3

I corrected the spacing and it didn’t make any difference

I restarted node-red and now they show up.

Are you using this:

or this?

that option is completely ignored by lovelace, so no, it’s not really working, unless you are using STATES UI only

That is NOT part of the yaml specification. However consistency is important and two is a good “standard” to adopt. However you could equally use 1 or 4 or 10 spaces.

1 Like

Made me check the YAML docs and you’re right; 1 or more spaces is valid and it’s not even necessary to be consistent.

Two characters is the “community norm” for Home Assistant’s documentation and, given that I don’t use YAML anywhere else, I was mistakenly led to believe 2 is the correct number. To riff on the Holy Hand Grenade:

Two shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be two.

Except when it can be one or more …

My mistake. Thanks for the correction; I’ve amended my previous post.

I am using the HASSIO addon

Then it’s using the Websocket version (as seen here in its package.json file).