Need Help with Remote Access to Home Assistant - No Public IP from ISP

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re doing well. I’m facing an issue with remote access to my Home Assistant installation, and I’m hoping someone here can provide some guidance.

To be upfront, I don’t have a deep understanding of how my ISP’s routing works, but currently, it’s not assigning me a public IP address. I have experience configuring various routers for port forwarding, setting up Home Assistant servers, hosting databases, and even gaming, so I have a basic understanding of networking concepts.

When I access my router and check the “WAN” section, I can see the IP address assigned by my ISP. However, when I verify this IP using various IP checking websites such as ¿Cual es mi IP publica? Descubre tu direccion IP gratis | IONOS, https://www.cual-es-mi-ip.net/, DuckDNS, No-IP, and others, it appears that my ISP’s routing system is not providing me with a public IP address that I can work with.

I’m wondering if there’s any way to set up remote access to my Home Assistant instance through a workaround or client-based redirection since I don’t have a public IP address to work with. Any advice or suggestions on how to tackle this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ask your Internet provider - to assign static ip add to your wan router and then you can configure port forwarding towards HA . Duck Dns – update that static IP add.
Remote access will work.

I understand and know that if I had a public IP it would be easy to configure. Unfortunately, the service that the company hired does not offer that option, due to the plan or the type of service they provide. I don’t know.

check below link might help

Remote connection through DDNS - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Tailscale or zerotier maybe? :thinking:

This partially solves my problem. I will continue researching a bit more about it.
Thank you very much.

Zerotier is partially meeting my needs. I will continue testing it and learning more about its capabilities. I appreciate the help

For a free solution that doesn’t require vpn, use cloudflare tunnel, and get free domain from .pp.ua

1 Like