Need some good idea for LED RGB lighting

I have basically run out of project that I really wanted to do you can check out my post from a few months ago here

I want to get into RGB led lighting perhaps around the TV or around our screen porch and deck. I think I can figure it out, as there is a lot of info out there from a technical use.

My real question is , what project led rgb strips have you been happy with, what project are a waste of time. Before I get started I want some practical application/use case that I can really use to somewhat justify the purchase other than just playing around.

I’ve used RGB LED Strips in a few “projects”

• Under my TV Cabinet
  • Behind the handrail in the stairs
  • Behind my house number
  • Instead of scotia
  • Winter Ornament

I’m planning on setting one up to follow my roofline for next Xmas
Some of what I’ve done has been inspired by @bruhautomation’s youtube video

I can send pics if you want. There are plenty things you can do with LED Strips…

Hello faspina!

I like to work with WS2812b or newer ws2813 LED strips or rings. Those are addressable leds so possibilities endless :wink: You’ve could do a “infinity mirror” or VU-meters for your speakers?! I custometed some Ikea lamps with strips and I used ESP8266’s with WLED to control those! Check Cine-Lights youtube channel for more info of “infinity mirror” and VU’s. Check WLED from Github. It’s easy to flash and use! It think WLED is the best controller for your LEDs, it has lots of cool animations for leds!

Hope you get some ideas from these!

Good point! I forgot I did one of these for my son too, see here:
http://www.lolorpi.com/2018/09/smart-ikea-grono-lamp-take-2/

1 Like

Easy and very useful project - especially if you have kids:
Put a LED-strip underneath the edge of the bed-frame. Also mount a PIR-sensor under the bed (I just use Xiaomi ones upside down).
If someone is going to the bathroom at night you can turn the strip on/off based on motion to make the room navigable in the dark.
You can also use the motion detection to give you a heads-up, like a lamp in your living room turning blue, when the kids are up at night so you can help them if needed.

Nice work! I’ve customized these lamps https://www.ikea.com/fi/fi/p/vidja-lattiavalaisin-valkoinen-00309198/
Don’t know does your country sell these?!? I have couple of older “paper lights” from ikea witch I customized with arduino and ws2812b LED-strip, those with 144 leds per meter. Added just a simple torch mode and those looks pretty good.

1 Like