Need some help getting started with Automation on WEMO Insight

Hello,

I’m just getting started with Home Assistant. I was wondering if someone could lend me a hand in writing Automation scripts to do the following:

1. I like to turn on Wemo Insight 1 when Wemo Insight 2 changes from Standby State to On State. This is to automate turning on my subwoofer in the other side of the room, when my AV receiver turns on.

2. I like to “toggle” Wemo Insight 3 at specific times (Mon, Wed, Fri @ 5am). I need to “toggle” because this is rebooting my AT&T modem. If I turn off and then turn on, I think I would lose the network connection in between…

Hope someone can help me with this!

You may want to try and do this in the Wemo app if available. If your router is down the off command will make it to the wemo switch however, the on command won’t reach it as their won’t be wifi available. The toggle option (as I under stand it) is used to change the state (off to on or on to off) when the state is not known.

thanks so much, will try this out and report back.

so I use the HA built-in automation editor to write these two automations…neither seem to work at all…any ideas?

• action:
    • data:
      entity_id: switch.bic_f12_subwoofer
      service: switch.turn_off
      alias: Turn off Subwoofer
      id: ‘1498628037388’
      trigger:
    • entity_id: switch.pioneer_receiver
      platform: state
      to: ‘standby’
  • action:
    • data:
      service: switch.turn_on
      alias: Turn on Subwoofer
      id: ‘1498628345319’
      trigger:
    • entity_id: switch.pioneer_receiver
      platform: state
      to: ‘on’

Figured it out, sharing solution so other noobs like me won’t run into this issue again.

- id: '00000000000001'
  alias: Turn Subwoofer On
  trigger:
  - platform: template
    value_template: "{{ is_state_attr('switch.pioneer_receiver', 'state_detail', 'on') }}"
  condition:
  - condition: state
    state: 'off'
  action:
  - service: switch.turn_on
- id: '00000000000002'
  alias: Turn Subwoofer Off
  trigger:
  - platform: template
    value_template: "{{ is_state_attr('switch.pioneer_receiver', 'state_detail', 'standby') }}"
  condition:
  - condition: state
    state: 'on'
  action:
  - service: switch.turn_off

So apparently, the “standby” state under Wemo Insight switch is not an official STATE in Home Assistant. It is a “state_detail”.

1 Like