Need some help/suggestions for IR Control of Window AC using ESPHome and HA

Hi,

As the title states, I am looking for a solution that will successfully allow climate control of a Tosot 8000BTU Window AC from HA. So far I have used the ESPHome Remote Transmitter and Remote Receiver to capture some of the remote codes and then replay them from a simple switch in HA. Awesome, we have basic control; off and on, swing off and on, etc. The hardware I am using is a NodeMCU 8266 with an IR LED and an TSOP38238 receiver. HA is Hass.io on an RPi3.

I would like to now take all these remote codes and find a way to parse the code i need to send to the IR Transmitter. I would like to have a Climate entity that can be controlled on the HA side, then send the requested state to the IR Transmitter to control the AC.

The kicker in this whole situation is that the remote for this AC unit is one of those that transmits the ENTIRE state of the AC unit with every button press. So this complicates things as now there is a specific code for every combination of states that the unit can be in. (Probably around 200 or so once you figure in a 20 degree range of temps to select, 4 different modes, swing on or off, main display on or off, etc)

Some things I have tried already;

I have looked at trying to use the MQTT HVAC component as the HA front end. But, I’ve had a hard time finding a way to take all the separate state command topics, combine them into one parse-able string or payload, then narrow down the exact code that needs to be transmitted based on what values are requested in the MQTT topic.

I looked at NodeRed to be a middle man between HA and ESPHome, but I couldn’t figure out if this was going to be the best way to tackle this.

Could anyone give me any pointers or ideas on how to go about doing this?? I also feel like there is probably something already out there that I’ve missed that would make doing things so much easier that I’m just missing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Take a look at this, it may be what you need Tasmota MQTT IRHVAC Controler

2. Alternatively this https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/generic_thermostat/

Thanks @nickrout Ill try out the Tasmota solution and report back. I had used the generic thermostat before with a really old AC unit and a Z wave outlet, that still is an option i suppose. Just looking to gain a little more control on this newer unit.

This is working nicely! Thanks for the tip @nickrout!

1 Like