Neerslag Card (rain forecast) (Buienalarm and/or Buienradar)

No, for me both the Neerslag App and the Neerslag Card (don’t use both) work good in the mobile Home Assistant app (Android). As far as I know the Home Assistant app basically uses an internal web browser.

The Webview can be outdated and might not support the functions used by the card. However, our phones are up 2 date so that couldn’t be the problem.

In the end, I completely reinstalled the app and that solved my problem. Still don’t get why this was necessary, but at least it got resolved :slight_smile:

@aex351, FYI, the neerslag-card was causing issues for me since 2021.6.0. see:

and
History bar-graphs not showing correctly · Issue #9495 · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub.

The issues are gone since I removed the card integration (only removing the card did not solve the issue). I’ve not tried the neerslag-app yet.

Really like the look of the integration! I’m using the app and am based in Ireland - but ??? do not return any data - when I check in developer I get the below message.
I’ve set the co-ords to my location, and tried with setting the option for using the HA co-ords - but to no avail.
I do however get data returned for other entities e.g. the barometer returns information - are these limited to NL & BE, or am I missing something in the setup?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

@KingFisher, the app uses Dutch data providers (Buienalarm and Buienradar). Originally they only supported the Netherlands and later on Belgium and Germany got added. I noticed now that Buienalarm also seems to supports the UK, Italy and Spain. That is new information to me. I will have a look to see what options there are.

If you happen to know of an Irish data provider that I can integrate, please let me know.

thanks for the response. There is just one (AFAIK) specific to Ireland - the integration is here but the entities are very limited.

I can get date for my location from OpenWeatherAll - could that be integrated?

If you need anything thing else, or if I can help further troubleshoot, and if you have the time let me know.

thanks in advance

@KingFisher, it doesn’t need to be an integration that already exists within Home Assistant. If you know of any website/service that provides such insight in Ireland I will happily have a look for you, to see if I can get it integrated.

Met Éireann provides a rainfall forecast on an hourly level I see. Do you happen to have one that provides it on minute base?

Meanwhile while typing this. It seems Rain Limerick rain radar Limerick - realtime rain in Limerick - predict floodings Limerick uses BuienRadar (looking at the URL).

Could it be that Buienradar (sensor) is already working in Ireland, however Buienalarm (sensor) is not?

So If I use this URL it seems to return correct data for Dublin using Buienalarm.
And if I use this URL for Buienradar also seems to give correct data.
Not sure if this helps in any way? Let me know if you need any other info, or have questions.
thanks again!

Well, I can confirm that both Buienradar and Buienalarm work in Ireland. I tested this with Limerick. Both services might not be present in your city, therefor you will get the error message ‘not in coverage’.

It could also mean that you have no set-up either the Neerslag Card (standalone w/ custom sensors) or the Neerslag App (all-in-one) correctly. Please read the readme file for detailed information. If your city is within the service area I think there must be something wrong with the coordinates your entered. Make sure to use dot (.) instead of comma (,).

thanks aex351, am using the app, and have tested with the co-ordinates in the URL. Have read the readme file, and cannot see anything that I missed…Have dots in the Lat. & Lon.
Will continue to try and get it working, and will report back!

1 Like

Hey. excellent addon! I have it working but i got a question:

1. Whats the ‘random’ number when i add the sensor ad entity to a card?
  2. How can i make an automation based on the precipitation data inside this sensor?

Maybe a stupid question, but what is the exact meaning of the main state values of the sensors?

• Average rain over certain interval?
  • Total rain over certain interval?
  • Actual rain?
  • Other?

Or have I missed this somewhere above?

1. The random number is to ensure your location does not get blocked from the server.
  2. You will need to create your own custom sensor for that if you want to make use of the the data.

However, I recommend to stop using the Neerslag Card - as this requires a lot of manual setup - and migrate to the Neerslag App. It is now available in HACS.

If you are using the Neerslag Card with the custom sensor and are using the provided template. Then it will display the timestamp of when the sensor was last updated. This is helpful when debugging. Because of this, each sensor update with data will get stored in Home Assistant history logs. If you don’t want this, then there is an option to make the state static, but setting a fixed value.

I thought, I’d add my question to the this thread, so it’s all under the same header…
I installed the Neerslag app via HACS. It then showed up under Configuration → Integrations and I added my co-ordinates.
However, when I wanted to add the Neerslag Card to Lovelace, I was not able to find it in the list. Did I miss a step?
Note:
On the filesystem, I see neerslag-card.js under homeassistant/custom_components/neerslag/hoe-assistant-neerslag-card
Any pointers ?
thanks,
chrisV

Sounds like you followed the installation instructions correctly, with a minor note: you might want to restart your Home Assistant after installing the integration and refreshing your browser cache. That should do the trick.

Edit: I opened a dedicated topic for the Neerslag App:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this great App @aex351 !
It is a very useful addition to HA
I had to clear the browser-cache ! (thank you to @_Mitch07 for pointing this out)
You may consider adding this in the Readme ( :wink: )
Another note regarding the Readme in the git repo:
Not having used HACS that much (yet), it took me quite a while to figure out what I had to do at this step:
Add the Neerslag App as an Integration in Home Assistant (config/integration);
I was looking at subdirectories in the file system. It turned out, I just had to go to “Configurations” → “Integrations” → “Add Integration” → and find the HACS integration here (!). I know, it is not easy to write fool-proof documentation for dummies like myself.
Thank you again for this great app
ChrisV

Huh? Now I’m confused. I’m talking about these values:

With the Neerslag App, the state value is a random number. For every sensor update a new random number will be generated.

Mmm, too bad. I’m looking for a way to determine whether either buienradar or buienalarm will forecast rain the coming 2 hours. I want to use that as a switch for a conditional rain card. So only show the rain card when rain is expected.

Currently I use the buienradar weather integration for that, but it is not always in line with buienalarm, so not always showing the graph while buienalarm still forecasts rain.

For the Neerslag Card you will need to create your own custom sensors for that, as this is just purely a front-end card with custom sensors.

However, for the Neerslag App it would be a nice enhancement. As it would be handy to have an indicators like ‘it is raining now’ or ‘in x minutes it will rain’ etc. or as part of some automation.