Nest Cam No longer Triggering

Hi all, I’m new here and just getting started with Home Assistant and really excited about learning more about this awesome platform.

I have recently integrated my Nest cams with HA. A Nest Hello door bell and the Nest Cam in the Google Home Hub Max.
Everything worked great at first, I had the live stream coming through from both cams. I also had some automations setup with both cams.
The day after I had set it up I found both cameras had turned off. This was because I had the Home/Away setting on in the Nest app so when I was at home the cameras would turn off and when I was away they would turn on. I turned this setting off in the Nest app and turned both cameras back on.
After turning the cameras back on I had the live streams of both cameras coming through again to HA. I went to test if the automations still worked and the Nest Hello Door Bell automations did and do still work but the Google Home Max automations did not work anymore.
I had the Home Hub Max camera triggering automations when detecting a person but it seems like the detection is not getting sent through to HA? I have also tried this with Motion detection and even Sound but I don’t see anything being recorded in HA.
The Nest Hello Door Bell, however, is working great and I see the detections being recorded in HA and the automations being triggered.
The live stream from the Home Hub Max is still working great in Home Assistant which makes it a little strange that the Person and Motion Detection is not working.
I have tried re-integrating the devices by removing and re-adding Nest to HA but I still get the same results.
I am also still getting motion detected notifications in the actual Nest App from the Nest cam in the Home Hub Max.
I really would like to get the Home Hub Max triggering on detection again in HA.
Has anyone else had the same experience or solved this before? Any help would be really appreciated.

Hi, check out Nest - Home Assistant which has tips for troubleshooting including dumping out events and pubsub messages right from the feed. You can also see if you see messages triggered on the Google cloud side. You may want to recheck that home assistant is authorized in the auth flow by deleting and re-adding the integration and making sure the right boxes are checked.

Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. I have tried the trouble shooting and have deleted and re-added the integration a few times making sure all options are selected. But I still can’t get the Hub Max camera to trigger by person or motion detection in Home Assistant.
It is strange as the live stream from the Hub Max camera is working well and the Nest Door Bell is triggering in Home Assistant when a person or motion is detected.

Odd! Do you see events triggered in both cases for different devices? Either in cloud pubsub console or debug logs in home assistant

In the debug logs in Home Assistant I can see events getting triggered for the Nest Hello door bell when a Person is detected.
I also see the stream events which I think is for the Nest Hub Max and there is also the events.CameraSound.Sound events which again I think are from the Nest Hub. And I have just found a CameraMotion.Motion event from the Nest Hub I believe.
I can’t see any Person detected events from the Nest Hub.

I also have issues with the camera triggers (for a Home Hub) - the last successful trigger was on v2021.5.x.

My automation uses the device triggers for motion, sound and person, e.g.

- platform: device
      device_id: xxxx
      domain: nest
      type: camera_motion

although I’ve also tested with the nest_events listener. Neither seem to trigger successfully any more.

I’ve verified the device_id is still correct, can see events in the pubsub console but haven’t checked the debug logs yet.

That is interesting that you are also experiencing this with the hub max.
For me it only started happening after the hub max camera had turned off. When I turned it back on the triggers stopped.

I’m seeing the same issue as well, which the doorbell triggers are working correctly but nest hub max is failing to trigger any person/motion/sound detection. (Nest app is capturing those correctly)

I got the same problem. In pub/sub message panel, there is no message if I am recognized by home hub max. No event…

Did anyone figure this out? I don’t see any events either for my Nest Cam in Home Assistant. @allenporter

Edit; works for me now for camera_motion but not camera_person. I am most interested in Person detected events. Why would one work and not the other? Thanks

Hi, are you seeing events in the pubsub console?

My Home Max shows in pub/sub with events. The camera.XXXX is discovered and working but the person/motion entities aren’t even added after removing/adding the integraton. hmm.

Hi,
Sorry I missed the notification with your reply. See Nest - Home Assistant for details.

See WTH don't we have Event Binary Sensors? for how to make binary sensors out of events, which sounds like what you were expecting to happen.

@robots, did you figure out a solution. I have the same problem. Nest Doorbell works fine, but Nest Hub Max and Nest Camera (2021) don’t send events to Home Assistant.

Yeah unfortunately i think nest hub max commonly seems to not be publishing events, but i haven’t heard of this for other cameras yet.

4 Likes

Good to know I’m not experiencing a unique issue - my last successful event from our nest hub max was on 3rd July.

1 Like

Hi all, i also have the same problem. I have a Nest Cam IQ Outdoor camera. Successfully integrated it into HA. Motion detection triggers a notification but person detection doesnt. I will monitor pubsub but i suspect there’s no issue there.

1 Like

The next hub max should now be receiving events due to a fix on the nest pubsub side of things.

1 Like